Embeddded programming, define embedded.

Sorry, I cant help but reading the topic on which OO language is best for embedded programming. But, embedded is a fairly broad term these days. I am currently doing r&d on a 800mHz x86 embedded platform and I am definately going to use a high level language combined with c++ and I am also going to enforce OOD.

However, its been some time but if I were using an 8bit micro to control a toaster then I would not be using c++ and would definately use assembler.

So define embedded?

Each language should be chosen based upon the application.

Reply to
The Real Andy

No reset button?

Reply to
Viktor

Embedded simply means that the software is inside the product, most often on non-removable media. Other than that the term is extremely broad.

In the case of your x86 platform, it most likely comes with a BIOS in flash or some type of rom, just like a normal PC. The BIOS is embedded. The PC to the level of the BIOS is an embedded design. The OS and applications on the disk drives on the other hand are not embedded. An rather loose exception to this could be claimed for a system that contains an entire PC as an embedded component.

Choice of programming language from assembler to OO is a combination of choices and the capabilities of the hardware in use. C++ on an 8-bit micro would not make a lot of sense (at least to most people). C++ on an ARM, PowerPC, Coldfire, X86 or other larger processor is quite common and becomes a more difficult question centered around the application and the programmers preferences and capabilities.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

Obviously you have not used a DirecTV video recorder in the US. It is definitely embedded and their top solution to problems is to press the reset button :-( conveniently located on the front panel.

It is one of the worst embedded products I have seen. This product gives embedded software a bad name.

--
Scott
Validated Software Corp.

Other than the fact that so many students come here to ask repetetive questions.. some of them completely clueless.. this NG is ok.

LOOK IT UP.

Reply to
Elan Magavi

But not limited to that consideration. Other considerations are:

  1. Programmer skill level
  2. Single programmer or a team of programmers
  3. SW QA requirements
  4. Personal preference
  5. Portability requirements
  6. Code non-obfuscation for downline upgrade and maintenance programmers (ASM is rapidly becoming a black art)
  7. Others

JJS

Reply to
johnspeth

See below:

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

CB.. why don't you just start killfiling top posters? I for one don't give a rat's ass.. In fact, since I know that 90% of your posts in this NG are for etiquette.. I try to make sure I top post as often as possible.

If you are SO lame that you can't understand posts that have text at the top of them.. you probably shouldn't be programming either.

TOP POSTED FOR YOUR ANNOYANCE!

Reply to
Elan Magavi

Hard to remove.

Reply to
Jim Stewart

Your statistics are way out.

Then you would know that top posting is considered bad netiquette It has been for the last 16 years that I have been on the Internet and in this group.

I would be interested to know when and where you think the Internet had it's inception.

That is what everyone has said.... The way things are is bottom posting only.

But it annoys others and in civilised, educated, society you have to fit in with others.

We did.... it is this one.

This is a community. If you don't want to join the community and work to its rules (yes there are rules in the charter as you know) then I suggest you go somewhere else.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

I believe it was invented by Geoff Google in about 2002. Prior to that there was an archaic bulletin board system called AOL but it was very obscure and installation discs were so hard to get hold of so it never really took off. It's all very different these days and the computer that stores the Internet now fills up Geoff's whole garage and he's planning to expand into his neighbour's garage soon.

Hope this clears things up for you.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

Someone needs a history lesson.

I have been communicating via computers since 1978, helping to make several systems talk to each other and for terminal users to gain access from remote locations to linking computers spread across the country. I was in with the Microlink crowd in 1982 and was also using FidoNet from about 1983 onwards. I used to have a Demon Modem and, as you will note, I am still using Demon for an ISP. All that time-span covers simple ftp operations, through to email, bulletin boards and email>Telex and Telex to email services and finally the web itself.

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Top posting does not annoy me, either. And just like Elan the only response I may have to religious postings like that is to try and annoy the religion followers. In English, we quote using quotation marks. The bottom posting with the "greater than" sign has been practical when people were using terminals which would just scroll the message up and had no scroll bars, page up/down keys etc. Nowadays, it is only a religion. Those who have the brains to create a posting valuable enough to read will be able to choose the appropriate method to quote. Whatever, any time someone asks me why do I not join his religion which of course is the single right one to join I am likely to feel the way Elan must have felt when he wrote his message. I am and intend to stay non-religious, thanks.

Dimiter

Chris Hills wrote:

Reply to
Didi

:-) I think he is being sarcastic.... Actually both you and Tom were on my stand at the same time at ESS (day 2)

Yes I too was on Fido. In 1980 I was working for a modem manufacturer So I was on line about 2 years after you. Though I was in computing from about 1978. (But I am younger than you :-) My Dad started programming in 1952!

Likewise.

I still have a working Goffer program. There are people on line who don't know that there was an Internet before the WWW.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

I was there on the Wednesday (Day 1) this year. The night with the stand-holders party (mostly in the conference stream). I gathered that maybe he being a bit sarcastic but was not entirely sure about it.

Obviously. Then, for that group the history of the world only started with their birth. ;>

Paul E. Bennett ....................
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul E. Bennett

Perhaps I should have thrown in a couple of smilies. I think knowledge of the existance of the internet before WWW is certainly dwindling particalarly among the younger generation. My university course only just touched on Gopher and telnet in 1998 and I think that that was probably the last year that they discussed it. My year was also the last year to learn Pascal - they teach Java now.

Reply to
Tom Lucas

They do help sometimes.

There are those who made history There are those who will only see history as an academic study Then there are those of us who have lived it. ;>

(told you I was an ancient)

Paul E. Bennett ....................