Re: John KD5YI disses Linux! What an idiot!

>So, does this mean that Linux is no longer all that it is cracked up to be? >

There is no bottom to the level of stupidity you have spent your life cultivating for yourself.

There is a difference between a distribution and Linux itself.

Not only do I not expect you to understand, I know from your pathetic query that there is no chance that you could possibly understand.

Reply to
The_Giant_Rat_of_Sumatra

Who yanked your chain, Rat?

Reply to
John KD5YI

Who yanked your chain, Rat? Oops, I omitted the honorific Rat-Bastard.

By the way, since your Daddy was George, how did you get to be a rat? Seems likely that your momma a rat.

Reply to
John KD5YI

o be?

fe

hetic

You have to wonder how much work it would be for the rat to simply explain the difference between a desktop and a distribution, rather than Satorum at the mouth.

First of all, you don't have to use a desktop at all. Back in the days when you ran unix on the vax, all you had was a VT100. But you could run multiple jobs just fine by forcing them into the background. The VT100 could handle the emacs editor, Now with a PC, you can still at level 3. Your networking is limited to simple file transfers (ftp, telnet, etc). You don't have "windows." You still have vi or emac for editing. For a server application, this works fine. If you want "windows", you have to go to run level 5 with an appropriate desktop.

Distributions are just package linx with an installer, [Technically the kernel, applications, installer, and perhaps some management software.] There is a ridiculous number of distributions. For most people, Fedora, Opensuse, or Debian does the job. I've run into a few particle collider engineer that use Scientific Linux.

has the list of distributions.

While I think the flavor of the week is getting to be pretty silly, there are some distributions that actually has a reason to exist. Some are designed strictly for samba file serving. There is a low latency version of the kernel for multimedia or signal processing use. Some are small for embedded systems. But most distributions are really "me too."

Unless you want to compile code, it is better to look for a distribution of linux with a large repository. [The repository is like the Apple app store, but free.] Some people get very frustrated with compiling code because you need to have "dependencies" met, basically having all the libraries or some programs installed. You also have to deal with the various "make" programs. Generally if you compile the code yourself, you can set flags that let you customize the program. The repository has the compiled code (executable) all ready to go.

Reply to
miso

It's 'Self yanking'.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid? on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

to be?

life

athetic

I like SuSE, and am just about to up-grade to SusE 11.4. They do have a large depository, and it always seems to have an up-to-date version of the gEDA electronic design collection of programs tailored for the latest distribution (as well as a few of the previous distributions). I have installed gEDA from source at times in the past, but it's tedious, and what I get via SuSE serves my - limited purposes.

I'll probably try out 11.4 on my lap-top as well - 11.3 doesn't seem to be able to get the WiFi link working (not that I've tried very hard because an Ethernet cable to my ADSL modem works fine).

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

-- Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
Bill Sloman

up to be?

r life

f.

pathetic

I've run suse since the mid-90s. It seems to be well suited for engineering.

Reply to
miso

Total bullshit. It just got started then, and you were dumber then than now. Maybe you were around someone who ran it.

Reply to
FatBytestard

Coworker's friend worked at the Suse office in Oakland back in the day. So yeah, I was there and no, I wasn't watching.

You really shouldn't try to "know" what somebody else knows, because most people are vastly smarter than you.

Reply to
miso

No, idiot. The reason is that you do NOT know. It has nothing to do with being smarter, because since you do not know, you do NOT know that value either.

So, what does that say about all those times when YOU jumped on the Larkin's retard crew bandwagon and did that very thing yourself?

You are petty, at best.

Reply to
FatBytestard