Re: Interesting negative capacitance circuit

That is to say, I guess you could start with a corpus of simple single-stage LC filter blocks that are known-optimal for the cutoff and phase response you want with the standard component values you have available, then you generate populations of chains of them to get the requisite number of stages, only fiddle with the values of one of the stages at a time, and rank your fiddling as as to how much "value" it provides towards the desired solution.

The fiddles that give the best bang-for-the-buck are pooled into a new corpus of possible building blocks to draw new trial solutions from.

The state-space of any non-trivial filter is simply too large to search directly without some kind of heuristic.

Reply to
bitrex

Mellin transforms are dead useful in the design of scanning systems (e.g. c omputing the linespread function from the pointspread) and in deriving asym ptotic series. There's a really great Dover book on asymptotic methods that goes into all sorts of interesting detail on that. (It's at the lab, and I 'm back in bed, so I don't have the exact details.) :(

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
pcdhobbs

It's not. It makes a whole lot of fundamental work accessible, which makes it extremely handy for people with merely adequate mathematical skills, but it's more of a cook book than an exposition of the theory.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Seems it'd be easier to use the 200V amplifier needed for this application to drive the EL sheets directly.

Jasen Betts

Bleistein & Handelsman, "Asymptotic expansions of integrals". Great book.

It also talks about neutralizer functions, which are cobbled-together combinations of absolute values and exp(-1/x) ( x->0+ ) that are really zero in regions you want to reject, really 1.0 in the ones you want to keep, and have continuous derivatives of all orders. (Sort of like a generalized version of JT's tanh curves.)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

My set of RF bibles...

+1

I also like Gardner's book on PLLs, Zverev's filter book, and high frequency amplifier books by Hollister, Carson, Hardy, and Staric & Margan.

I have an interesting looking one, Lee, "The design of CMOS radio frequency integrated circuits", but haven't read it yet.

I also picked up "Analog computer techniques" by Clarence L Johnson on ABE books, hoping it was by the famous Clarence L (Kelly) Johnson, but alas, it's by an aeronautics prof at the Air Force Institute of Technology. Fun though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Whoa! Again today ;-) That sounds interesting! And only $13.99 on Amazon! Ordered, Prime, here Sunday ;-) Thanks! ...Jim Thompson

             I'm looking for work... see my website.

     Thinking outside the box... producing elegant solutions.
[snip]

Nope. It's absolutely worthless except in the case where it's paralleled by a positive capacitor of value slightly greater than the negative value.

Yep, it does ;-)

Yes. The proof is left as an exercise for the student >:-} ...Jim Thompson