PCB capacitance

I have a circuit board, 4 layers, L2 being ground, 12 mils of FR4 between L1 and ground.

I was wondering what is the parasitic capacitance across R13.

So I found a bare board with a similar geometry.

I measured 0.05 pF between the pad pair in the center, 3T measurement.

Adding a 1Meg 0603 resistor, it went up to 0.085 pF.

(used my faithful pale green Boonton 72)

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

On a sunny day (Mon, 09 Dec 2013 21:37:04 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Try again with a pink one.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Just for grins,try a 10Meg resistor..you may be in for a small surprise.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I've put the gear away, so it would be inconvenient. What do you think would happen?

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

I was half asleep; also use a 1pF and a 10pf capacitor (0603 natch). 10meg R should make little change, 1pF and 10F should add a small amount,theoretically (Cadd plus your 0.085pF) in parallel to "original"

0.085pF.
Reply to
Robert Baer

I'm doing a 3-terminal capacitance measurement between those pads, so any cap that I put in parallel with that resistor will add linearly to what I'm measuring. Pad-to-ground capacitance isn't as important in this circuit as pad-pad.

The Boonton is great. I ran coaxes out about 2 feet, and transitioned to homemade probes, hardline coax with a bit of center conductor poking out. Boonton ground is connected to the PCB ground plane. I almost touch the probes to the pair of pads, zero the Boonton, then touch down. The low range is 1 pF full scale.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Often true--in TIAs and bootstraps, for example.

And once it's zeroed, it sits there all afternoon reading 0.000 pF. (I have the digital version.)

Beautiful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I had a meter like that once. ;-)

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bless you. It's folks that surplus good kit that have made my lab what it is. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Errr... he might mean that the fuse was blown.

Reply to
John S

Does it have a mirror behind the digits?

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Of course. "I had a xxxx like that once" is an ancient gag line.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

No, which is a good thing--otherwise I might fall in love with my reflection. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Cool!

Reply to
Robert Baer

Whoosh... right over my head. Thanks.

Reply to
John S

Yeah, they're widely available on eBay for $100-$200. I have two 72BD digital ones and a 72A analogue one. Total price: $456 plus $67 shipping (three separate orders). Really great gizmos.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs