OT. IRS efficiency

I went to our local IRS office to pickup a 1099MISC form. The agent said we haven't got our forms in yet. "What do you need?" 1099MISC, "oh, we don't carry that one, you can buy it at Walmart or a paper store, or you can order it online" So I went to Walmart, no they don't have it, went to Office Depot, they have a package of 25 for $14.99, then the envelopes are another package. So, I ordered them from the IRS, and will wait 10 days. Get your orders in now so you can get them mailed out by Jan 31. That's the law. However I get several revised 1098s in the middle of March, so the first one I get is BS, the second one supposedly isn't. [/Rant]

Mikek

amdx

Why didn't you download the pdf file?

 Thanks,
    - Win
Reply to
Winfield Hill

The official printed version of Copy A of this IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from this website, is not. Do not print and file copy A downloaded from this website; a penalty may be imposed for filing with the IRS information return forms that can?t be scanned. Mikek

amdx

TurboTax?

Reply to
mrdarrett

How about your local library? The branches here carry a fairly wide set of forms.

Of course, why didn't you jump at the chance to support the store that had it? ;)

Reply to
Frank Miles

That's so utterly stupid and horrible, I'm appalled!! WTF! I've never seen anything like that before for an IRS form.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

I have downloaded several IRS forms that were .pdf files and then got them so they could have data entered in them. Filled out the forms , printed them and mailed them off. They were a lot more legible than any form that I enter data by pen and ink.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Filled out the forms , printed them and mailed them off. They were a lot more legible than any form that I enter data by pen and ink.

Here's the link,

Do you want to print this one and mail it off?

Mikek

amdx

Read the publications explaining why Joe Average can't just print one on his $99 printer -- to see what criteria you must satisfy *to* print a legitimate copy. The warning *in* the form is intended to deal with the folks who will settle for the 25c explanation...

Reply to
Don Y

STUPIDITY! *any* piece of paper with printing on it (yes, even light blue) can be scanned, all one needs is the scanner: some stupid "all-in-one" printer. Nuff sed (pun intended).

Reply to
Robert Baer

I can't wait to hear the story of when Joerg does his tax paperwork in the USA, and tries to calculate how many years out-of-date the American system is!

Reply to
David Brown

I looked for the pub that explains the criteria to print legitimate copies.

It did not jump out at me. So if is not much trouble please post a link. I am curious why the IRS cares as long as the form is easily read and in the same general format. The 1099 div forms one gets vary a lot, but all are easily read.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Clearly spoken with little knowledge of the specific issues.

'nuff said.

Reply to
Don Y

People still use...paper?

This stuff has been online for *years* now!

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

You know that is not the correct procedure. The correct way to measure the efficiency of the IRS is to apply 240v and monitor the output.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Jamie