Re:High gain current amplifier has excess noise

Hello people

Just got around to testing this amp again. The newsgroup articles have expired, so you'll have to look in google for the history. Anyway, I think the problem is that there is some parasitic capacitance somewhere or something that is messing up the feedback. What I did was blast in white noise at the input and measured the output, effectively getting a frequency response. It pretty much follows the noise curve, which is expected. (maybe it is off by a square root, whatever...). Like I said earlier, the frequency response rises by about a factor of 2 before falling off again.

I remember Hill mentioning a while ago about how a stray capacitance from the "middle" of the resistor can give some weird mid-frequency hump. Anyway, I still wanted to extend the frequency response to higher frequencies. I tried that RCR trick, but for some reason, it didn't seem to do anything (need to double check). Or else I can just follow the amplifier with circuitry that flattens out the freq response. Any other suggestions?

Some other comments: I don't think it is that c_in noise gain that Phil mentions because the numbers don't work out when I change the input capacitance.

qrk: Why does LTspice show the noise levelling off at 20uV?

Reply to
alan

That's for very high-value resistors, 1000M, etc... I don't remember what this discussion is all about. Maybe others do, or you could find the Google link for us.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

alan