Re: For all the group

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 08:38:30 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

If you post from googlegroups, aioe, or uar, please post a test >message so I can clear you in my nfilters. > >It's getting tedious checking all filtered-out posts for good guy/bad >guy ;-)

You probably won't see this, as I post via aioe.org, but it is much simpler NOT to use filters, especially with for example Agent or any other reader that gets the headers first, as you have to select the headers you are interested in anyways. You now likely have posted more of those filter related messages, then anything electronics. Else the situation you wind up with is that you have killfiled everybody else, BUT the spammers, as THOSE change config all the time.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

No. A blanket "drop", but with "good guy" exceptions, of aioe is working great.

What I'm finding remarkable, as I check message ID's, is the gross number of forgeries via googlegroups.

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Mar 2008 10:27:20 -0700) it happened Jim Thompson wrote in :

Well, I normally do not even look where it is posted from. If I see an interesting discussion, and do not have the OP for some reason (erased it), I go to google groups and look it up, and then reply from there. If aioe.org is down I go to datemas.de, but datemas.de was not even reachable in this weekend, I have about 33 groups current, of which I follow 11 actively, all without filters enabled, takes about 10 minutes to make a selection each morning from about 1000 new headers. Try us.politics, Obama's speech on race is there (link). Now here is an interesting viewpoint :-). Then there is sci.physics, with 90% noise, 9 % anti-Einstein, and the rest may contain news, etc, sci.astro, etc. Now how much time you spend fiddling with filters I dunno, but if it is more then 10 minutes a day, then lemme say it this way: The brain is a zillion neuron computer, I do not even see them spammers anymore. An other interesting thing is that both datemas.de AND aioe.org seem to filter spam!

DarthVader

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeah, but if you look even closer, you would note that the googlespam horseshit started right after we dissed the aioe admin retard.

Do you think the retarded bastards would actually spam flood the group through their own hooks?

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

As stated, JT has turned filtering off in order to tweak his settings.

If that *was* the case, there would be no reason for this thread. After ~March 4, 2008, MANY will disagree with your position.

The moral of this story is: Choose your provider carefully and be prepared to live with the consequences otherwise.

Surprizingly: Not the case in the current rash of crap via Google Groups from China, India, Pakistan, Indonesia... (at least not so much that *common* elements are not repeated).

The nexus of *Google Groups for NG access* and *Gmail as email* has a 99.99% probability of being a spammer. (I only see 2 posters with that combination responding to this thread.)

MANy are going to have to change behaviors.

Those who use Google Groups and haven't posted to this thread will have to somehow get green-lighted by those using JT's method (we haven't seen Pete Smith or Luhan Monet in a while, so when they come back online, they will have to be whitelisted) OR they will have to pass the unladen-swallow test which those like Rich Webb are using

*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.*.can.also.be.checked+allows.either+messages-with-a-score-*-will-be-loaded+zz-zz+qq+after.all.rules.have.been.applied+*-google-groupers-impersonating-others+The.Hamster.scoring.schemenews: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

...and again, I only see 2 posters from aioe.org in this thread, so it is simple deduction that most of that domain's subscribers don't actually READ this group

--and the >>No. A blanket "drop", but

The empiricals just shout "SUCCESS" (though we may hear anguish from the collaterally wounded in the days and weeks to come). . .

Congratulations on your superior brain. As I read the groups via Google Groups, I get *everything* too. I don't find it to be fun to be bombarded by asshats' posts

--and THE BULK of the junk I see are REPEATS which have been posted AFTER that asshat has been reported.

Most folks are realizing that the problem with the Internet is IRRESPONSIBLE PROVIDERS.

While hostmasters like yours at aioe.org are quite diligent about **protecting THEIR subscribers** from INBOUND crap, _the problem_ is **OUTBOUND traffic** (from ALL domains). The jerk in charge at aioe.org has been given the evidence, yet he won't block the childish actor (it appears to be just 1 guy spewing all the abuse).

Via some simple tricks like email address obfuscation, Google Groups has also *deluded* themselves into believing THEY are good netizens. Again: THE PROBLEM IS **OUTBOUND** TRAFFIC. Again: The *solution* is blocking the rogue addresses/domains. Again: That provider won't do it.

In that case, the alternative solution is FILTERING.

...and NOT subscribing to rogue elements of the online world when there are alternatives available to you will land you in fewer killfiles.

Reply to
JeffM

On a sunny day (Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:55:14 -0700 (PDT)) it happened JeffM wrote in :

Thank you :-)

No, providers provide a service, that said, I use 'direct-adsl', in the Netherlands, so I am my own provider. Run my own http server, ftp server, mail server, and name server. I do _not_ run a news server, that service is very well done by aioe.org, one of the very few open servers (that allow anyone to read and post for free). There are always a few who abuse such a service, same as in traffic, most people drive on the right side, but some ghost drivers piss of everybody. You do not blame the ghost drivers on the owner of the infrastructure.

Perhaps because he does NOT post from aioe.org???? There is a lot of mail injection via mail-to-Usenet pathways, and that is what is used, in such a case headers can be faked.

The silly attacks accusing aioe.org are likely because of ignorance. Of course _some_ could originate there.

I wrote my own newsreader, NewsFleX, been around > 10 years now, I read thousands of headers, many groups, and have fun. You guys are doing something wrong, getting upset about spammers is bad for your blood pressure, there will likely always be spammers, unless you use a closed moderated group. But then the moderators flip out ;-) And I refuse to read moderated groups anyways.

See, it is the same as seeing advertising in the tube (underground), you could try to stick white paper over every poster you see, but you will run out of resources soon.

Killfiles... kill whatever you want, it is your time you are wasting. And it won't work anyways.

DarthVader

Reply to
Jan Panteltje