Re: The naughty group ??

> I haven't heard a peep from any of the "supposed good guy" posters

> > from Google Groups. > > > I assume that they are going to move to a legitimate news server, so I > > can drop the white-list ??? > > > ...Jim Thompson > > Google's down, hopefully cleaning house. I posted this complaint to > Google yesterday regarding a particular piece of Chinese spam: > > "Appears to be an offer to sell a prescription drug unlawfully (in the > USA) by mail. > > It's part of the spam-via-Google blizzard whereby Google--yes, I mean > your company--is quickly (inadvertently) killing USENET. > > The spam is thick enough that other USENETers are simply filtering out > GoogleGroups and gmail posters. That means there's less and less reason > for legitimate Google users to bother posting, since no one will see our > posts > > But, unlike newsreader users, GoogleGroupers are helpless against the > spam--we see it all. It would be great if GoogleGroups provided > filtering tools for GoogleGroups users. Google might even use that > input as the start of a spam-detecting tool. > > USENET is one of the greatest forces for good, ever. For the first > time in history people from all over the world can interact, > communicate, cooperate, and share ideas by it. We reach greater > understandings of each other, make and share new discoveries through > discussion. > > GoogleGroups is a great service, but spam via Google threatens to > drown it all. Please Google, don't let your services be abused by > spammers. Please Google, do no evil." > > Cheers, > James Arthur

Thank you for filing the complaint. I used to be a frequent reader and occasional poster. I don't look in very often anymore. I have no interest in maintaining a filter or trying to stay one step ahead of the spammers. My compliments to those who have the diligence to maintain white-lists and such; however, I believe the real solution is to prosecute the spammers. I'd rather spend money and ten times the time on that instead of trying to tweak filters. I hope one day this group can return to normal through Google access.

Sincerely, Frank Raffaeli

Reply to
Frank Raffaeli

Did you see my proposal to develop a protocol and submit it to IETF?

Reply to
JosephKK

There already is one. It merely needs to be followed, and enforced.

Good luck with either.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt