Re: FM transmitter wanted with more power

Perhaps you can use the existing transmitting device by directing the output

> into a "leaky feeder" placed where you require reception. This should not > put you outside the law. Google came back with 4100 hits. There should be > some help there.

OK, that sounds like a good start. Can anyone else point me in the direction of a more powerful solution? I really want my other project to have about a one to three mile radius of transmission. I will be using this more powerful transmitter on a Camp Ground where the people are more spread out and it is difficult to get messages out to people who are not close to the base. Walkie takies are out of the question, because we need normal radios to pick up the signals. We also don't want them to have to buy a special device.

FM radios are cheap and almost everyone has one. Campers will have their radios on a certain frequency to get updates over the weekend of festivities. I would plan on using this via a 120V AC input in a wall socket. Does anyone have some suggestions? Is there a good hobby magazine dedicated to FM radio building? Or can I purchase the device as described above cheaply from somewhere? Your recommendations so far have been very helpful, thanks guys...

Kristian Hermansen

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
Kristian Hermansen

I re-formatted your text because each paragraph was on one long line. Annoying!

What you are talking about sounds illegal to me (in the USA). If that doesn't bother you, maybe you should search for information on the Internet about pirate radio and so-on.

You really should reconsider this, though, because any type of illegal kit may cause interference on other bands which could cause genuine problems for other people. This would be very inconsiderate, or possibly even dangerous.

Maybe there is a way you can get permission at the campsite to broadcast at low power using approved equipment.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

For the larger project, there is no obvious way you can do this with direct radio without risking a well earned visit to the slammer.

Perhaps you should be saying "Mobile phones are cheap and almost everyone has one." A little thought on instant messaging may provide you with a very economical, and legal, answer.

I suspect that deep down you may be thinking of the sort of "Butlin's Radio" that was endemic in British holiday camps in the 50's. That, in my opinion, would merit an "Albert Pierpoint" response :

Reply to
JustMe

utput

ot

be

transmission. I will be using this more powerful transmitter on a Camp Gr= ound where the people are more spread out and it is difficult to get messag= es out to people who are not close to the base.

Ramsey has some 25mw FM transmitters that would probably do the job:

bob