FM transmitter wanted with more power

You might be surprised to learn that ignorance of the law is not considered a defense against charges of violating it, at least not in court. You might get some sympathy from such a defense, but you will get no break from a judge.

You should also be aware that the emission limits set by the FCC for unlicensed stations are not dependent on how the equipment was procurred.

Good luck finding somebody equally willing to break the law. By the way, this post may well serve to make even the weak "I was ignorant" defense untenable.

--
--Larry Brasfield
email: donotspam_larry_brasfield@hotmail.com

USA radio frequency range of 88-108 MHz. I have purchased an in-store product that limits the distance of effective trasmission to ~15 feet -- most likely due to FCC requirements for car FM transmitting devices. However, I have a somewhat larger vehicle and would like to transmit a more powerful signal so that interference is not a problem. To my knowledge, the FCC restrictions apply to consumer products, and not to educational experimentation/projects. This would be powered by the car's cigarette lighter, so I am sure that it can provide for more power -- given that the transmitter's circuitry would allow it. I currently am using two different devices, neither of which have worked well. The product that worked best was the iRiver AFT-100. I would like to either modify this device (or send it to you for modification if it requires more knowledge/tools than I have), have someone point me in the direction of the knowledge to do it myself, or buy one from someone on this list. I have Googled around, but the quality of online web searches can only be verified by people who have experience with these things -- for instance -- you!

before majoring in Computer Science. Any help would be appreciated though. If I decide to have one of you build it for me at a fair price, there is also a future project I am working on that would require a more powerful FM transmitter

-- about a mile or so of directed transmission. Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon! You can email me off list if you like as well -- just remove the "NOSPAM" portion of my address...

What kind of antenna does your transmitter use? Is there any provision for connecting an external antenna?

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

I am looking to buy/modify/build an FM transmitter that will work on normal USA radio frequency range of 88-108 MHz. I have purchased an in-store product that limits the distance of effective trasmission to ~15 feet -- most likely due to FCC requirements for car FM transmitting devices. However, I have a somewhat larger vehicle and would like to transmit a more powerful signal so that interference is not a problem. To my knowledge, the FCC restrictions apply to consumer products, and not to educational experimentation/projects. This would be powered by the car's cigarette lighter, so I am sure that it can provide for more power -- given that the transmitter's circuitry would allow it. I currently am using two different devices, neither of which have worked well. The product that worked best was the iRiver AFT-100. I would like to either modify this device (or send it to you for modification if it requires more knowledge/tools than I have), have someone point me in the direction of the knowledge to do it myself, or buy one from someone on this list. I have Googled around, but the quality of online web searches can only be verified by people who have experience with these things -- for instance -- you!

I am not a total dummy, and even took some courses in Electrical Engineering before majoring in Computer Science. Any help would be appreciated though. If I decide to have one of you build it for me at a fair price, there is also a future project I am working on that would require a more powerful FM transmitter

-- about a mile or so of directed transmission. Thanks, and hope to hear from you soon! You can email me off list if you like as well -- just remove the "NOSPAM" portion of my address...

Kristian Hermansen

-= Get GrabIt for free from

=-

Reply to
Kristian Hermansen

[...]

You would do well to heed Mr. Brasfield's comments.

Here is a link to the FCC's rules so you can verify it for yourself. Find and read about modifications to approved equipment. What you want to do is strictly illegal.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Perhaps you can use the existing transmitting device by directing the output into a "leaky feeder" placed where you require reception. This should not put you outside the law. Google came back with 4100 hits. There should be some help there.

Reply to
JustMe

You should be able to get much more than 15 feet range and still be within the law.

Ramsey used to make a very high quality part 15 transmitter, but it is pricey.

With 100 milliwatts and a 3 meter antenna, you should be able to do

300 to 500 feet with a decent receiver.

I'm assuming you want a real FM transmitter, capable of doing stereo with good frequency stability (quartz based frequency).

If you just want someting to make noise with, there are many schematics and products you can buy and operate legally. But, you will have to chase the signal up and down the FM band unless you get one that uses a quartz crystal to determine it's transmit frequency.

GL.

[...]

Mebart

Actually, the rules permit 100 mW and a 3 meter antenna (combined with ground and feeder) on the AM broadcast band (525 - 1705 kHz), but not in the FM broadcast band (88 - 108 MHz). For the latter, the rules state:

[Code of Federal Regulations] [Title 47, Volume 1] [Revised as of October 1, 2004] From the U.S. Government Printing Office via GPO Access [CITE: 47CFR15.239] [Page 816-817]

TITLE 47--TELECOMMUNICATION

CHAPTER I--FEDERAL COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION

PART 15_RADIO FREQUENCY DEVICES--Table of Contents

Subpart C_Intentional Radiators

Sec. 15.239 Operation in the band 88-108 MHz.

(a) Emissions from the intentional radiator shall be confined within a band 200 kHz wide centered on the operating frequency. The 200 kHz band shall lie wholly within the frequency range of 88-108 MHz. (b) The field strength of any emissions within the permitted 200 kHz band shall not exceed 250 microvolts/meter at 3 meters. The emission limit in this paragraph is based on measurement instrumentation employing an average detector. The provisions in Sec. 15.35 for limiting peak emissions apply.

It is paragraph (b) above that is the stickler. It takes only about 20 nanowatts into an efficient antenna (say, a quarter or half wave) to get that 250 microvolts/meter at 3 meters. Of course, you could use a kilowatt into a really bad antenna so long as you don't produce a field greater than

250 microvolts/meter at 3 meters.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

In the AM case, wouldn't it be pretty hard to push those 3mW into a 3 meter antenna at those frequencies? I'm not saying it couldn't be done, mind you.

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Yes. But it would probably be difficult either way. ;-)

Limiting interference is one of the main mandates of the FCC. So I'm not complaining about that. It's just that it would be a lot easier to radiate

100 mW if you could build a larger antenna! Maybe you can buy antennas designed for this application. I guess some kind of resonant matching network would help quite a bit. I'm not really an antenna expert. Or maybe a magnetic dipole.

Makes sense. An awful lot more power, if you can just get the little antenna to radiate!

--Mac

Reply to
Mac

Hi, Mac -

Did you mean 100 mW? Yes. It's very difficult when the FCC limits your entire antenna installation (ground, feeder, and antenna) to 3 meters:

"Sec. 15.219 Operation in the band 510-1705 kHz.

(a) The total input power to the final radio frequency stage (exclusive of filament or heater power) shall not exceed 100 milliwatts. (b) The total length of the transmission line, antenna and ground lead (if used) shall not exceed 3 meters."

This makes the radiating system very low in efficiency. The whole idea (as far as the FCC is concerned) is to limit the field strength thus limiting the ability to interfere with licensed stations. It makes sense to me.

Nevertheless, I've heard that the range achievable on the AM band far exceeds the range achievable on the FM band when both meet the FCC rules.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI

Hi, Mac -

A good place to start is Low Band DXing by ON4UN. Although the book addresses the frequencies below the AM band (160 to 190 kHz, I think), the inherent problems of short antennas are discussed, I am told. On that band, an input power of one Watt and an antenna length (including ground and transmission line) of 15 meters is allowed. Even so, if I recall correctly, radiated power is in the low milliwatts due to low antenna and network efficiencies.

It is a challenge.

Cheers, John

Reply to
John - KD5YI