Re: China Drills for Oil in Gulf

No,Cuba has leased Gulf waters for Chinese exploration.

> So,the Chinese will be drilling/producing in the Gulf(for the > Cubans),and potentially closer to the US than US oil companies are > permitted.=20 >=20 > Slant drilling would allow them to go past any maritime > drilling limits,undetected.

I would think that an array of seabed hydrophones=20 could detect such a transgression.

Reply to
Greg Neill

"Greg Neill" wrote in news:48568a17$0$12474$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

Perhaps. they might just detect drilling,but not be able to detect slant drilling. They might detect seismic events like minor quakes and temblors,too.

and we currently DONT HAVE any such array.So,there's another expenditure.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Personally, I wouldn't quibble about a bit around the edges, and if the environmental issues are a worry, make sure they have whatever technical help they need to extract their badly needed energy.

But then I'm not a greedy bastard. Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

...and we shouldn't do the same?

Your problem. ;-)

--
Keith
Reply to

Absolutely, if it makes sense and is done responsibly. Businesses will generally try to socialize the risks and simultaneously privatize the profits, so a reasonable level of regulation is desirable (for example, requiring arms-length private insurance to cover the risk of a possible cleanup).

Nah, more like an advantage Trying to screw the people you deal with to the wall at every turn seems to lead to a lot of bad effects long-term, whether you attribute it to karma, blowback or whatever.

In the long run, there's virtually infinite abundance possible, something the *ists of both sides fail to recognize in assuming a zero-sum game.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

They don't need to be on the seabed. Water carries sound very nicely. The US has a lot of nice attack subs with an nice array that don't really have anything else to do so lets have them go do a little listening.

I admit that the TB-16 and the so called "slim line" arrays are a bit too short to be optimal but they are plenty sensitive.

Reply to
MooseFET

innews:48568a17$0$12474$ snipped-for-privacy@news.newshosting.com:

I think we actually do. Think cold war.

Reply to
MooseFET

The quicker they burn up all of theirs the sooner we have the last oil in the world :)

Reply to
MooseFET

Don't be too sure. Seismometers are pretty sensitive now as well.

Reply to
JosephKK