Re: Barack does Arizona a favor

Shes also well known for sending the federal government a multimillion dollar bill for federal unfunded mandates regarding detention and services of/for illegals. Tried to also get Arizona hospitals reimbursed for health care for illegals. She may be a wacko lezzie, but she has done a few things right, The idea of her heading homeland with her less then subtle leadership style may lead to problems. I've heard her speak a few times, and she didnt seem to be into the usual political doubletalk.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

She also POs Jim T. That along makes her appointment worth doing.

In truth, the department of home land security should be done away with. It serves no real purpose. There should be a federal police force. FEMA should be a stand alone agency. Neither is better for being combined with the other.

Reply to
MooseFET

All true, IF you believe the press releases. Janet is all hat and no horse.

You cannot imagine the glee that's spreading thru Arizona right now... almost makes Obama palatable ;-)

...Jim Thompson

She's PO'd most everyone on the state. Her appointment reverses all PO's... we're delighted beyond words ;-)

Yep.

Isn't there one already?

FEMA "management" is an oxymoron.

...Jim Thompson

     Liberals are so cute.  Dumb as a box of rocks, but cute.

In article , To-Email- snipped-for-privacy@My-Web-Site.com says...>=20

Oh, it serves a lot of purposes. Some not intended, most not well.=20

Perhaps a dozen or two of them (FBI, SS, BATF, DEA, USM, and=20 another half-dozen under DHS).

Back about the turn of the century...

Government management is oxymoronic. Who better to run GM than=20 Congress?=20

Reply to
krw

Homeland security was a knee jerk reaction to avoid massivly expanding Customs and the Border patrol, and it looked good. It centralized many agencies under one cabinet position, making it a grab for political power. It effectively redirected many agencies efforts at other tasks into a different problem, leaving those tasks to be low priority, The politicos also used it to stall on infrastructure. If you cant take a picture of a bridge, you don't have to inspect it either, Ask many of the agencies who have been combined, and they will tell you its no picnic. Try the Coast Guard and Deepwater for example.

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

In article , snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu says...>

Nonsense. Sweeping FEMA, INS, Customs, TSA, and all that was a horrible idea, from day-1.

Reply to
krw

TSA was poorly done from the start. The urgent quest to find several thousand competent, honest, personable people who would work for low- level government wages was doomed from the start. Frequent airline passengers have experienced abominable treatment given by little- empire autocrats, and the "method" required of passengers varies all over the map, especially in the large airports. I have taken to travelling in elastic-top pants (no belt buckle), moccasin-style slippers (no metal), and checking a bag with my human-sized toiletries, proper shoes, and real pants and belt.

On the other hand, I have recently had the opportunity to fly through a couple of small airports, where the TSA staff is small, relaxed, and happy, and the treatment of passengers is much more humane.

Reply to
Richard Henry

One main problem is that the DHS was to be the poster boy for privatization. It isn't supposed to do anything, it's just supposed to contract it all out.

Mark Zenier snipped-for-privacy@eskimo.com Googleproofaddress(account:mzenier provider:eskimo domain:com)

Reply to
Mark Zenier

The "terrorists" won the "war" the day Homeland Security started strip-searching American citizens.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Richard The Dreaded Libertaria

ng

er.

ho

dittoes.

Reply to
Richard Henry

I too look at FEMA and consider it the problem not the answer. Close the agency and transfer the apportioned money to the state agencies.

Reply to
JosephKK

Amtrak and VA have their own police forces!

At VA hospitals and nursing homes - there are no mere security guards, but outright police officers! That was the case even before 9/11/01! Since then I have been slightly inconvenienced by needing my driver's license to enter the VA hospital in my delivery area to deliver sandwiches by bicycle! (I have a passport and that also satisfies the photo ID requirement, and with minor collaboration with my day-job boss, amounting to little more than permission and a signature, I can manufacture an employment photo ID and get it laminated in plastic at the nearby photocopy-passportphoto shop, and if they ask questions I get resistance solved with only one phone call! I went that route once to get an especially capable but apparenmtly-homeless person into that job! He questioned my manufacturing of his ID including an expiration date of 4 years after date that I manufactured it. I told him that good photo IDs are not lifetime but have expiration dates only a few years into the future. That guy got fired merely months later, and I expect the employer recovered the ID card as condition of delivering final paycheck.

When marijuana, cocaine and opiates were legal? (as of 1900)

I doubt Congress can run GM better than its recent management did in their mismanagement!

I say let their stock price fall until Honda, Mitsubishi, Toyoda, Hyundai or BMW or VW or Kawasaki can afford to buy enough of their shares to accomplish a "hostile takeover", and then teach GM how to economically make cars and how to to do labor relations in order to economically make cars!

Don Klipstein

Exactly my point.

...and your point is, other than to provide more evidence of weenieism?

No shit? ...and you want Congress to run your health care.

Won't happen. Why would Toyota, et. al., want to infect themselves with the the Bit-3's UAW and legacy problems? Chapter-11 is the only possible solution.

Reply to
krw

I say let them go out of business and put the unionists on the street. >:->

Cheers! Rich