Quick, quick...

Michael, I divested myself of firearms when my sons were a few years old and haven't handled one since. As a grey-haired retiree I doubt I'm perceived as a likely candidate for that type of action, and I'm not sure where you are coming from on this.

RB's suggestion of training and arming all 18yo's wouldn't have risked that perp being shot at "from at least a dozen sources" in that latest incident, so I'm having trouble joining the dots.

Reply to
who where

In the hands of liberals, both are dangerous.

Reply to
krw

Dumb idea. It's really simple. If you want to keep the kiddies safe, arm the teachers. Make the safety of their charges their responsibility.

Typical leftist theory. Simple, elegant, and wrong. It's no surprise you can't connect the dots. You're a lefty; logic doesn't matter.

Reply to
krw

When these perps are challenged, they invariably surrender or off themselves. They really don't want a fight, which is why they pick on soft targets, like gun-free victim zones. See: Clackamas shopping mall.

Reply to
krw

A gun free zone just calls out for the psychotic types to target them to get their name in the news. It insures that they can kill more than one person before they are stopped.

Sigh. Guns aren't the problem. It's the dangerous fools who use them. If he couldn't steal the guns, he could have used a knife, or any of a number of simple incendiaries that would have killed even more kids. If you can't trust the teacher with a gun, you can't trust them to teach your kids. If you can't trust the principal with a gun, home school your kids.

It wasn't that long ago that schools had gun clubs & had shooting events with other schools. Lots of kids still grow up on farms & in rural areas where they need to be a decent shot to survive. Guns are a fact of life, and shielding kids from them and proper safety is criminally stupid. I served in the US Army, and already knew how to use a rifle & how to handle it safely. The ones who didn't were damned dangerous on the range

I applaud the gun store owner in Orlando who is offering free CCW classes to teachers & administrators. It's a step in the right direction.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

NO, NO, NO..NOT concealed!!!!!! In _PLAIN_ SIGHT! Required! Mandatory! Potential rampage idiots will get the visual statement that mis-action on their part would be "slightly" dangerous and then some. And if a rampage idiot "does his thing",gets ventilated, let the bloody mess lie there for a few hours as testimony to other potential rampage idiots. Set law eXplicitly saying that NOBODY can be charged except for a medal of honor protecting citizens.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I understand your point but open carry is akin to a 'gun free zone' by visual cue, since you know who isn't, but.concealed carry is a 'virtual' force multiplier because everyone is potentially carrying.

Reply to
flipper

g and

sources.

6

School shootings are really low frequency events. Gun handling accidents aren't. Arming the teachers is probably going to kill more kids in improbable careless storage screw-ups than could possibly be saved if a teacher was lucky enough to be able to shoot a psychopathic intruder before the intruder had managed to shoot as many kids as they would have like to.

Krw can't do that kind of math and probably wouldn't even know where to start.

Typical rightist theory, even more simple - if totally inelegant - because it ignores inconvenient facts.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

sources.

Do you know how bizzarre that seems from the UK? I still get a frisson of shock when I see an armed *policeman* here.

Also what about when a deranged teacher goes nuts and start blasting away at the class? 7 million teachers in the US, it only takes one...

I suppose what we need is to arm the *kids*.

[...]
--

John Devereux
Reply to

You are sheep.

Only if it ever gets that bad.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Since shootings of one or two people a year at maybe 20 schools are clearly more acceptable than a single shooting a year of 25 people, that is probably the correct solution, even though it results in more deaths on average, it allows people to _feel_ safer.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Friend of mine moved a couple of sheep in his van and is holding them in his garage (for a live nativity scene tonight). Sheep have an entirely undeserved reputation for being cooperative- they are not aggressive but that doesn't mean they'll do what you want.

And his van smells like sheep excrement.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

sources.

What happens today? This same teacher brings guns to school and blasts away her whole class, then the next, and the next. No one in the school has anything more powerful than a cell phone to stop her with. You're right, it only takes one. ...and one to stop her, if given half a chance.

You really are weak.

Reply to
krw

Sheep are notriously bad shots, though. :)

So will his garage. :(

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

and

sources.

A reasonable point I suppose, given an armed society in general. I still think actually arming all the teachers is abhorrent, and would be counterproductive overall.

Of course exceptional events like the recent one should not set policy in any case.

Well, forgive me if I don't join in the name calling.

More weakness I guess.

--

John Devereux
Reply to

and

sources.

Your feelings aren't important, though. If you want to stop these events, it's the *only* way it's going to happen. It worked in Israel, it works in Texas, and it's on its way here in Georgia (and a half-dozen other states, FWIG). Even the Democrats, here, are on board the push to allow teachers and school administrators to carry.

The problem is that these events were *caused* by such policies.

It is a fact. You're clearly weak.

Even a stopped clock...

Reply to
krw

A second of reflection would see the fallacy, or is it phallacy, in your confused statement. Logic certainly does not come into it! Your satatement, that is.

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
Reply to
RipeCrisbies

So you are saying that there are more dangerous fools per head of population in the USA than, say, in the UK. I can see how that would work but I'd still take the guns away so that the dangerous fools can't easily get hold of them!

--
M0WYM
www.radiowymsey.org

Sales @ radiowymsey
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Sales-At-Radio-Wymsey/
Reply to
RipeCrisbies

The acoustic shot-spotter system in Oakland, Ca covers about half the city and recorded 2800 shots this year. Oakland had 124 homicides in 2012. But those are mostly black kids shooting one another in small batches, so don't get as much attention as things like school shootings.

The school massacres seem to be white middle-class suburban and college things.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Too bad for them, as they tend to be delicious.