Quick connect/disconnect crimp terminals

Hi, looking for **fully insulated male** .187 crimp terminals for

18-22 wire guage (aka spade terminals) in anything other than red. Seems like red is the prevalent color for this terminal and wire size but have seen blue used with finished products but cannot find to buy....Tried usuals like Digikey, Mouser, Newark, Jameco, Action etc....

Here's a picture of what I'm loooking for;

Help!! Thanks!

Reply to
oparr

I believe the color coding is an ANSI standard, or some other guideline. If so, you could have a hard time finding non-standard colors.

I have seen sleeves that you could crimp onto the wire first, and then use a larger size terminal. Blue would be the next color / size up.

Seems like that's a lot of effort & parts, though.

If your goal is wire ID, (i.e., to ease end-user installation instructions, or simplify assembly), I have seen terminals with silkscreened identification. You'd probably have to buy in bulk though to get exactly what you want. I'm not aware of any vendors who stock anything common like that, but they're may be some out there.?

Good luck.

Reply to
Mike

Yup. From Molex at

--
6. what does the color of the insulation mean?

A. The colors (red, blue, and yellow) are used to tell you the wire
range that can be used in the part. This is an industry standard color
coding.

Example:  Blue = 14 or 16 AWG wire

The colors repeat over and over, and are an industry standard, i.e....

Yellow = 24-26
Red = 18-22
Blue = 14-16
Yellow = 10-12
Red = 8 AWG
Blue = 6 AWG
Yellow = 4 AWG
Reply to
Rich Webb

For those sorts of crimp terminals, the insulation colour indicates the recommended wire size, so I don't think you'll find an 18-22 crimp terminal with anything other than red insulation.

You might try

(I haven't used them myself, but I've seen them recommended elsewhere...)

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca

Bare terminals and color-coded heatshrink?

Magic marker? ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Pete, thanks for the link but no luck there either. I have a DC motor here that uses what looks to be the said connector with red for positive and blue for negative crimped to the respective wires. Maybe the blue one is 14-16 instead of 18-22. Whatever, it seems odd that one would be forced to use say red connectors where blue or black would be the norm from a polarity perspective.

Reply to
oparr

Good suggesti>

Reply to
oparr

It's not - it's molded. The heat shrink idea was to get terminals with no plastic and heatshrink them after you plug them in. If you're talking production quantities, you could probably order a batch of a different color. Why not call your supplier and ask?

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Then use red and black wire. Then the color of the terminal won't matter.

Michael A. Terrell

The colour vs wire size thing is to ensure that the user uses the right size terminal for the wire at hand.

If you want to identify the wire function, you use a separate marking system. You could, for example, use coloured heat-shrink tubing over the connector or wire.

However, it is not unknown for users to put the wrong size terminal on a wire - perhaps the person who put those terminals on ran out of red ones, so misused a blue one to complete the job.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb4 (at) interchange.ubc.ca
Peter Bennett

The colors are for coding as to wire sizes, so if you absolutely demand a non-standard then you will have to either pay big bux for custom, or fudge using a 16-14 AWG (blue) connector with the possible need to insert two wires (second one might be different size).

Reply to
Robert Baer

Reverse the connectors so that they can't get mixed up.

Then it won't matter what color they are.

Male Female = Positive

Female Male = Negative

Reply to
ABLE1

If it were that easy, it would be simpler to use a two pin keyed connector. It sounds like the OP wants to use the .316" connectors to push on existing lugs on the motor to reduce the number of steps and amount of labor in assembly..

Michael A. Terrell

Ok, then do a Plan "B"

Reply to
ABLE1

Not in stock, but curiously, Digikey shows a couple parts that might work for you...(?) Both of these are spade terminals.

For 24-20 ga. Sleeve is WHITE PVC:

For 22-16 ga. Sleeve is BLACK nylon:

1-52929-0

I'm as surprised as anyone to see these. (Wonder if they really exist?) I've only even seen the red/blue/yellow series sequence.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
oparr

Guys, thanks for the help. Actually, the applicati>

Reply to
oparr

They are color coded by size but it's not a SAE standard, you will find some that don't comply. Try NAPA, Checker, CarQuest, and the like. Alco bargin bins, Kmart...

Reply to
Lee

=46or a slight incremental cost you can get uncolored ones.

Reply to
JosephKK

Ordered some which were supposedly red but turned out to be actually light p>

Reply to
oparr