Question for Win Hill

Isn't 200mm a bit big for a bipolar process?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Walmart had them for $0.99. But IMHO their "performance" is the pits.

Most of our CFLs were around $0.70. Philips Marathon. Of the others before that I occasionally opened one after it croaked. No chips in there.

Many of my designs must go the discrete route as well. It's amazing, nowadays you can design a circuit with 50 parts and the complete and tested assy come to about two bucks.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Sweet! I love low cost design.

Will your client sell to third parties? I might have one that could be interested at some point.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

The trick to evaluating this scene is to remove all the unusual high-power, high-voltage, high-energy storage, etc., parts from the scene and see what's left and the cost. Some or most of what's left could be integrated. I mean, we know ac-line RFI-filters and dc-dc converter inductors can't be integrated. Neither can 60Hz storage capacitors, if they're required. High-power SCRs, etc., are not good candidates. But lots of other stuff may be.

Reply to
Winfield

How does that look in practice? Did you make a SPICE subcircuit with 5 parallel MOSFETs and different, "discrete" gate resistors?

robert

Reply to
Robert Latest

Most spice power MOSFET models have an internal discrete gate resistor, so you can just change that value in each partial paralleled-MOSFET section.

Reply to
Winfield

Yes. But then comes the really hard part: Factoring the NRE amortization into the game. Not a big deal for anything that runs in the tens of millions a year but for less than a million the discrete solution often still wins. It is amazing how cheap BJTs and diodes are. Of course, every time you contemplate a FET you'll have to think really hard about whether there is any way to do the circuit with a BJT or two. There have been times where I invested almost an hour of billed time into that because it made sense for the client.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

If it has the power device in there. If it's just a controller you can make them cheaper than 20c out of standard parts.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Spehro Pefhany snipped-for-privacy@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat posted to sci.electronics.design:

Somehow i had gotten the impression that they only made 200 mm equipment for the past two decades. Then again i do not know the normal lifetime of such equipment. We may have 2 inch lines still running.

Reply to
JosephKK