Question about fuel cells

I expect it depends on how pure the methanol is. Catalyst poisoning seems to be their Achilles heal in practical applications. Clearly that one is intended for cost no object military use although off hand I cannot for the life of me think of an application where a simple common or garden battery would not be orders of magnitude better.

Be OK provided it wasn't on standby.

Undoubtedly and since it has all gone quiet on that front I presume it died after a few years of operation by catalysts poisoning.

To give fuel cells their due they are great for space missions if you already have copious amounts of LH2 sloshing around in a tank somewhere.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

'Achilles heel'.

Michael A. Terrell

'Achilles' would be a good name for a dog.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Sno-o-o-ort ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Only if it will heel on command. :)

Michael A. Terrell

'm

There was a big fanfare when Ballard, a Canadian heayweight, made it to 1,000 hours (claimed) operating life, but that was more than ten years ago, when fuel cells were still ten years away.

Nowadays they claim "up to 20,000 hours" in fixed applications:

Sweet--that's almost 2-1/2 years.

Their financials feature a section titled: "the path to profitability."

Nice carry-on to carrion converter, too.

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Google found these: