Qualcomm in talks to acquire NXP

Ouch. Most of them are 'instant'. I think the program is 8 or 10 years old. It's certainly not worth $400 to me.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Could someone E-mail me a locked PDF?

I want to try an old method that's worked for me in the past. ...Jim Thompson

| 1962 |

I sent you a small (72 page) one.

The old method of printing to PDF stopped working a long time ago- you get an otherwise blank output with something like this:

ERROR: undefined OFFENDING COMMAND: get STACK: /quit

-dictionary-

-mark

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I sent you back my method. ...Jim Thompson

I have a customer that does computah forensics. They have the enterprise version, which they let me use when the need arises. The rainbow tables don't always produce spectacular results, such as when the password is all symbols, but is a major improvement.

I just tried the trial version of the program: on one of the PDF test files I found at: The 2nd file, which is password protected, uses a not so clever password = "test". I ran the program with a dictionary attack and it took about 3 seconds to find the password. I then ran it with a brute force attack, using all possible symbols except space, and it took

17.5 minutes. On the brute force attack, some stats: Passwords to process 78,914,410 Work time 17m 35s 725msec Average speed 74,749 passwords per second Not too shabby methinks. I'm running a rather dated Dell Optiplex 960 3.1GHz E8500 Dual Core with 4GB RAM and WinXP.

Can someone point me to an encrypted NXP data sheet so I can see if and how it works? I'll guess(tm) that NXP uses a rather primitive encryption key, such as the part number backwards. I dug through my mess of saved data sheets and couldn't find any that were encrypted and/or password protected. Random downloads from the NXP web pile didn't do any better.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

My example was a simple Schottky diode, PMEG3010. I'm looking at rev 4 of the datasheet, dated 2007. I can give you hundreds of others if you need them.

Most datasheet encryptions don't prevent you from seeing or printing the datasheet in toto; they prevent you from doing *any* of the other dozens of important ways to use a document.

I'm not sure what it's doing, but the program PDF Password Remover takes a fraction of a second.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Have you found one where PDF Password Remover _doesn't_ work? ...Jim Thompson

The Elcomsoft demo program says that the "user passsword is empty..." However, that's the 2004 version direct from the NXP web pile. Got a link to the 2007 version or a better example?

Dunno. There are two passwords. The owner and the user passwords. Some programs, like Elcomsoft try to decrypt the password(s). Others, just remove it from the PDF. My guess(tm) is that like the 2004 version, there is password.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Never mind. I found the 2007 version on Octopart: Same problem. It says "User password is empty so instant decryption is possible". I had no difficulty printing the first two pages of the data sheet. However, I was not able to add any annotations (using PDF-Xchange Editor 5.5) because the document properties showed that the owner password has been set (40 bit RC4). The permission details show that printing and content copying are allowed, but no changes to the document, such as annotation. I'm not sure why the Elcomsoft program is only removing the user password, and not the owner, but I'll see if I can figure it out.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Duh... my fault. Under the "advanced" tab, there is a choice to decrypt the owner and/or user passwords. I had the wrong one checked. It's cranking right now using a brute force attack. The demo has a very small dictionary, so that didn't work. Stay tuned to this newsgroup for the latest episode of "DMCA violations made easy".

Oops (again). The demo version is limited to passwords up to 4 characters in length. The NXP data sheet probably has a longer password, so this experiment isn't going to work. I try it on the real version later next week. Sorry.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Jeff Liebermann

Most locked security settings do allow printing. Otherwise they'd completely lose the customer!

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Only one, in a few hundred unlockings.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Can you E-mail a copy of that one to me? ...Jim Thompson

Well, in a pinch you can print it and then OCR. Here's a shout-out to my fave OCR/document conversion site:

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I've almost always been able to print the PDF to a PDF, then add any notes I want to. However, about 20% of these can't then be searched. So, I end up with two copies.

Reply to
krw

Good, fast, available; pick two? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Still works for me, though sometimes the resultant PDF isn't searchable.

Reply to
krw

I guess that's the only thing that's keeping the lawyers at bay.

They would probably prefer that each copy be strongly encrypted, unprintable and each copy be watermarked in a way that is traceable to an individual NDA.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

I have long since forgotten which one it was. It takes a few minutes to bring up the app, find and name the output file, etc., so I don't do it very often. But I haven't encountered a failure in a long time.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

When Jeff Liebermann wakes up he will announce a trivial solution ;-) ...Jim Thompson