PV MOSFET driver reliability

Phhsssseee ... tic .. tic-tic ... tic-tic-tic-tic ... PHOOF ... *BAM*

No kidding, happened a few days ago. A class-D driver decided to go berserk while endurance-testing a circuit. I could get over there fast enough to turn it off. It took a lot of other stuff with it. All the fancy over-current protection in there didn't manage to protect the stage from death-spiraling. Replacing ICs on 2oz copper is a bear.

This time the stench wasn't too bad though. Just a wee electric scent.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

They come in 3 UVLO flavors. "B" is ~9.5V and "C" is 12V.

That's exactly how my test circuit works now. :-) The quickly-wound transformer sucks in terms of leakage inductance, but it can be improved.

Will brag about the results. ;-)

Best regards, Piotr

Reply to
Piotr Wyderski

Good. There is a surprising number of engineers these day who take drive levels a bit lightly yet use standard-level FETs. Even manufacturers of IC aren't paying enough attention to that. Until one fine day ... tsssk ... PHUT ... *KABLAM*

That's why I wind most of mine on toroids. As RF engineers say, toroids don't talk. At least not much if they are of the ferrite kind.

Please do so. It can help others getting out of a similar pickle, years down the road. I once explained in detail how to change the bulb in an Italian office desk lamp. The designer kind where this is difficult. Many years later I kept receiving emails from people in a similar situation because the manufacturer link I had posted back then had gone limp.