mosfet driver question

I'm thinking of getting a TC1427 mosfet driver to power a motor by parallel port. I'm about to place the order, then I thought of a few questions:

Can I drive a 1A load directly from Pin 7 of the TC1427? Or is this a bad idea?

For greater loads, the gate of a mosfet (say, IRF530) gets connected to Pin 7, right?

Thanks,

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

In general, that's a bad idea. The mosfet driver is optimized for providing a high peak current into a small capacitive load, such as the gate of the mosfet. This high current is only sustained for a few ns, until the gate charge has been moved.

Devices like these are not designed to provide sustained high currents.

Reply to
Arlet

Ok, thanks!

Michael

Reply to
mrdarrett

Although there is nothing wrong with using the chip to drive a MOSFET to give you your sustained high current.

Rob.

Reply to
Robert Wilson