How reliable are recon. batts?

I've seen ads and auction listings for "reconditioned batteries" for laptop and notebook computers.

If you've tried a rejuvinated battery, please post your experience, bad or good. Also, any recommendations, as to whether to buy a "new", "used", "refurbished", or "reconditioned" batteries.

Reply to
fancy nospam tunes

Doesn`t it mean that it`s a reclaimed battery case with new rechargable cells fitted inside? Not rejuvenated as in cycled many times to restore some of the original capacity.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

It depends on the cells they use, often times a remanufactured battery will use newer higher capacity cells than the original and will be better than new.

Reply to
James Sweet

I've tried hitting shorted Nicads with the charge from a photoflash capacitor, and it fixes them for a while, but not for long.

Stepan

Reply to
snovotill

The common way would be just to re-cell it. But if a new one is still available it *should* be cheaper due to lower mass production costs.

--
*Why does the sun lighten our hair, but darken our skin?

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The primary reason for proprietary batteries is to keep the PROFIT up. I read somewhere that there's more $ profit in a replacement battery than in the orignal discounted laptop.

If every device used the high-tech (currently LiIon) equivalent of the AA battery that is available at any store, your laptop battery would cost $10.

Back to the original question. About 3 years ago, there was a store popping up on every other corner to recondition your laptop/drill/radio battery. They charged about half the price of a new pack and guaranteed some percentage of full capacity. Those stores are ALL gone. That should tell you something about the results. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

Like all spares, really. Or consumables. Ink jet cartridges etc.

If you say so. I was more thinking of power tools that use the normal Sub-C cell. To replace those with *decent* ones can cost more than the entire tool.

Never had those in the UK that I knew about. It was economical to replace mobile phone cells on a DIY basis with like for like quality, but not things like cheap power tools. Although the performance of those could usually be improved with better than OEM cells.

                  To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

WELL, almost all LiIon packs use the normal 18650 cell. Problem is that they're packaged in proprietary plastic and you need a tiny spot welder to replace 'em. Not to mention that you have a very difficult time buying individual cells. If the consumer could go down to the corner drugstore and pick up sub-C cells for their power tool or 18650s for their laptop, they would be much cheaper. If consumers weren't so stupid and could follow simple directions, we wouldn't need multiple layers of stupid-proof safety protection...or nearly as many lawyers. Technology ain't the problem...it's all about the Benjamins. mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
mike

I'm not sure about 18650, but tagged sub-C which can be soldered by anyone are readily available in the UK. But not from a 'drugstore' etc as they're not a standard size like AA etc.

Heh heh - could be.

--
*Why is a boxing ring square?