proximity fuze tubes

Reminds me of an old (original) SNL gag - Jane curtin plays some talk-show host who puts out the hypothetical question, "How would WWII would have come out if Superman had fought for Germany?" Some general, played by Garrett Morris, asks, "Uh, howcome he didn't fight fuh us?"

;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

Late at night, by candle light, John Larkin penned this immortal opus:

direction

I wonder if it could have been asymmetries or lobes in the antenna combined with the high rotation rate, rather than doppler shift, that amplitude modulated the oscillator. Any thoughts?

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to

"YD"

** Spin rates of AA shells are in the hundreds of Hz.

The detector inside a typical VT fuse was designed to fire the detonator when AM dropped to something like 30 Hz - ie a tad before closest approach.

What you have to consider is that in a near miss situation, the point of closest approach coincides with a zero in the relative speeds of a AA shell and the target aircraft.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In no particular order:

5718, CK603, CK509, CK608, CK5704, 1AG4, CK5783, various acorn tubes, triodes, pentodes, 1.5V and 6.3V filament, a couple of JAN-CRP-5794 assemblies, a 2C40, and several dozen grain-o-wheat bulbs.

Whatever they may have been intended for originally, I think that my uncle used them for radio control sailboating, at which sport he competed in the 1950's and '60's.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

Lots of interesting info on the web if you like things that go boom.

Here's a bit of history, development of the battery, initial successes, jamming countermeasures tested by firing live shells at a B-17:

Wikipedia states: "The fuze is considered one of the most important technological innovations of World War II." More on the initial design, German electrostatic design immune to jamming, VT principle of operation:

VT fuse on rockets and bombs

German capacitance based fuse

"

fuse-3045147.html"

A very detailed article including design criteria and principle of operation:

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On a sunny day (Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:04:39 -0500) it happened " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in :

beaten,

It is so sad that you are beyond repair. LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Late at night, by candle light, Mike penned this immortal opus:

Ok,thanks. To Phil too.

- YD.

--
Remove HAT if replying by mail.
Reply to
YD

Didn't that proximity fuse work on some sort of electrical/static charge detection? (forgiveness for the poor expression of the concept)

Reply to
David Eather

Probably. But according to 'The Deadly Fuse' by Baldwin, the details of the VT fuse were never discovered by the Axis powers during WWII due to tight security. Some guessed (from recovered duds) that these might have been a kind of electronic timed fuse. But they never figured out the proximity angle. At least not in time to formulate countermeasures.

"By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all quote. In fact it is
as difficult to appropriate the thoughts of others as it is to invent"
  - R. Emerson
  -- Quoted from a fortune program, whose author claims "Actually,
     stealing IS easier." (to which I reply, "Do you think it's easy for
     me to misconstrue all these misquotations?!?")
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

The German one? Could have been -- and maybe they were barking up the entirely wrong tree, too. IIRC the Germans kinda cut off all R&D around

1940 or so, thinking that they were going to win the whole enchilada soon enough so it wouldn't mind (or, at least the more realistic ones were realizing that they didn't have the resources for R&D _and_ warfare, and clearly telling the world "hang on for a few years and resume hostilities when we're ready" just wasn't going to work.

The original US/British proximity fuse is a genius piece of work from a geeky RF guy point of view. It's like the "Name That Tune" show on TV, only it's "I can make that work with just _two tubes_!".

Compare what they could do with two active devices in 1939 to applications where we automatically start shopping for 10000 gate (or more!) microprocessors, and it does make you think. Or something.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com

On a sunny day (Sun, 06 Nov 2011 19:48:37 -0600) it happened Tim wrote in :

Of course after the first nuke is detonated it is very possible that neither the communications nor any of the microprocessor equipped weaponry does anything, due to EMP.

In fact the only transport left could be Joerg's old diesel engine. Never underestimate the foolishness of hightech.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Tim schrieb:

Hello,

it was a big problem to develop tubes that would survive the firing of the gun and the rapid accerelation of the shell. James Van Allen was working on that problem, he was told: don't waste time by saving money!

All parts of the tube, the cathode, the grid and the anode must be stable enough and well suported to be suitable for the use in a proximity fuse.

Bye

Reply to
Uwe Hercksen

Wasn't it Herrmann Göring who said something to the effect of "I don't like things that use tubes and coils, the Übermenschen of the Luftwaffe don't need such things" ?

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Significant in helping stop the German Ardennes offensive. In the forested terrain of the "Bulge", wood splinters were as deadly as shrapnel.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse