Radio Proximity Fuze Design

From Journal of Research of the National Bureau of Standards July 1946:

The general principles governing the design of radio proximity fuzes are pr esented. The paper deals primarily with fuzes for smooth-bore projectiles, * such as bombs, rockets and mortars. Illustrations and descriptions of the various fuzes in this ca tegory which were developed during World War II are given. Within security regulations, there is a reasonably detailed discussion of the performance and construction of fuze components, such as the oscillator, the amplifier, the antennas, the power supply and t he safety and arming mechanisms. There is also a brief description of production practice s and problems and methods of inspection and quality control.

The radio fuze development and production programs were successful because of the high order of cooperation between military and civilian Government agencies and the American manufacturers. The free exchange of in formation, even between normally competing manufacturers, contributed immeasurably to good fuze design and production. Principal manufacturers of bomb, rocket, and mortar fuzes were Emerson Radio & Phonograph Corporation, Friez Division of Bendix Corporation, General Electric Co., Globe-Union, Inc., Philco Corporation, Western Electric Co., Westinghouse Electric & Mfg. Co., The Rudolph Wurlitzer Co., and Zenith Radio Corporation. Principal tube manufacturers were General Electric Co., Raytheon Mfg. Co., and Sylvania Electric Products, Ine.

If they tried this today, it would be 20 years and a trillion $ with a bugg y end product in short supply.

On the flip side: "In Germany, more than 30 (perhaps as many as 50)[17] different proximity f uze designs were developed, or researched, for anti-aircraft use, but none saw service.[9] These included acoustic fuzes triggered by engine sound, on e based on electrostatic fields developed by Rheinmetall Borsig, and radio fuzes. In mid-November 1939, a German neon lamp tube and a design of a prot otype proximity fuze based on capacitive effects was received by British In telligence as part of the Oslo Report."

A lesson on the deleterious effects of politicization of science.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Here's some stuff.

Baldwin's book is good too.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

presented.

as bombs, rockets

category which

s, there is a

ze components,

d the safety and

ices and problems

information, even

od fuze design and

., and Sylvania

uggy end product in short supply.

y fuze designs were developed, or researched, for anti-aircraft use, but no ne saw service.[9] These included acoustic fuzes triggered by engine sound, one based on electrostatic fields developed by Rheinmetall Borsig, and rad io fuzes. In mid-November 1939, a German neon lamp tube and a design of a p rototype proximity fuze based on capacitive effects was received by British Intelligence as part of the Oslo Report."

=0

Wasn't Baldwin that astronomer from APL?

You can see in this aerial bomb drop short video the bombs are within 70 f eet of one another. They should maintain that distance all the way down, bu t they don't explode because they don't have the requisite relative velocit y and hence Doppler. So you really don't want strict proximity.:-) Another misleading bit of military terminology as to be expected.

Fred Bloggs

There might be a bunch of them. The book I like is "The Deadly Fuze." Or maybe fuse.

At the same time, pharmeceutical companies were developing patentable variations of penicillin, using federal dollars, when they were supposed to be reducing the production costs and increasing manufacturing volume of the public domain product.

RL

Reply to
legg

6:

are presented.

uch as bombs, rockets

his category which

ions, there is a

fuze components,

and the safety and

actices and problems

of information, even

good fuze design and

Co., and Sylvania

a buggy end product in short supply.

mity fuze designs were developed, or researched, for anti-aircraft use, but none saw service.[9] These included acoustic fuzes triggered by engine sou nd, one based on electrostatic fields developed by Rheinmetall Borsig, and radio fuzes. In mid-November 1939, a German neon lamp tube and a design of a prototype proximity fuze based on capacitive effects was received by Brit ish Intelligence as part of the Oslo Report."

l=0

"The Deadly Fuz" was a Dirty Harry/ Clint book. :^)

Are there some circuits and such in Baldwin's book? (page 3 of Fred's pdf, leaves me scratching...)

George H.

0 feet of one another. They should maintain that distance all the way down, but they don't explode because they don't have the requisite relative velo city and hence Doppler. So you really don't want strict proximity.:-) Anoth er misleading bit of military terminology as to be expected.
Reply to
George Herold

I thought the sulfadrugs were the de facto lead antibacterial of the day. It was a lifesaver in dealing with battlefield injury.

Fred Bloggs

No, it's just the story.

The Baldwin book has no schematics just the personalities and story.

Here is a typical WWII circuit:

And here is some design reference explanation:

There is a distinction between the non-rotating fin stabilized projectiles like bombs and rockets that are subject to low launch G and are typically powered by air-driven turbine generator and the rotating spin stabilized gun fired projectiles that are subject to very high launch G - these were typically powered by chemical batteries activated by launch shock.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

On a sunny day (Fri, 29 Jan 2021 08:04:45 +0000) it happened piglet wrote in :

Holly shit, these days I would use a CMOS cam and even steer the thing,,,

want the asm source ;-)? (only for trump^H^H^H^H^H republican followers of course)

took an afternoon to write it.... based on an older analog TV hack I wrote years back so I could actually play videos I made myself on my stupid protected by hollowood DVD player!

billions, sigh LOL

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Penicillin wasn't widely available till near the end of the war.

Reply to
bitrex

A lot of the UK radar research group went on to be radio astronomers or physics researchers involving complex electronics and/or antennas.

But the Ralph Baldwin who wrote that book and the spelling of Fuze suggests he is an American author. Turns out he was a US optical astronomer and expert on lunar craters prior to the war. Nice biography on the Abe books advert for the book (cheaper copies are available).

The UK radio astronomer is John Baldwin - most famous these days for closure optical interferometry and high speed lucky imaging. I think he would have been a bit young in WWII to have played a major role.

My first year physics supervisor was Ed Shire who was one of the other UK inventors of the Doppler proximity fuse. He had some amazing stories of working on live radar systems in a corotating hut and other exploits but never mentioned his part in the proximity fuse. It was only on seeing his obituary in the The Times "Ed Shire a device to destroy the flying bomb" that we discovered the part he had played in its invention.

His picture is in the national portrait gallery (with credits):

His entry in Wiki is sadly lacking.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

==================

** Yeah - like a bone crushing 20,000 G.

Muzzle velocity 800m/s achieved in circa 4 ms.

Ouch.....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yes, the nose cone antenna on the prototypes became disconnected when the solder melted due to heat from air resistance! On the way to fixing that they accidentally invented the ablative heat shield which became useful for spacecraft reentry.

piglet

Reply to
piglet

I took that picture!

and a few others from an old circuits handbook. People used to publish circuit handbooks.

--

John Larkin      Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin

Thanks piglet, (an JL..) The second one is a big file! GH

Reply to
George Herold

I have several. They come in super handy when some opposing *ahem* expert tries to argue that some circuit is novel when it's been widely known since the 1960s.

I've sure never built any of those circuits, though. 'Clunky' doesn't begin to cover it.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

http://electrooptical.net
http://hobbs-eo.com
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Haha! The power of the web.

Neon walrus relay logic

piglet

Reply to
piglet

Ablative heat shields and discarding sabots came later. During the initial testing of artillery rounds, the failure rate was far too high. The rounds were shipped to the test range packed in cosmoline. One day, someone forgot the remove the cosmoline before test firing. The failure rate suddenly became close to acceptable. The friction of the shell moving through the barrel was causing the shell to become too hot. The grease lubricated the barrel, which reduced friction, and consequently reduced heating.

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com
PO Box 272      http://www.LearnByDestroying.com

They are funny. My big one, Markus 1971, has an introduction about how all the circuits that you need are right here.