scored vcr head

My aunt told me her vcr suddenly began recording and playing only snow. There is no mirror finish on the head. It's deeply scored as if it were being turned down on a lathe. What could have caused this? Was it manufactured that way?

Reply to
sawney beane

Drums have channels cut in them to facilitate an air cushion under the tape as it's dragged across -- this keeps friction down and thus helps keep tape and heads cool.

The uneven surface you see on the drum mount is simply to help guide the tape.

Now, if you have scoring which isn't even or doesn't look purposeful (i.e., stock), then somebody's been doing a pretty horrible job of cleaning, or a toddler has "fed" the VCR the wrong items.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Almost forgot.. the snow is most likely just dirty heads. Try a WET TYPE cleaning tape, or, if you feel capable, manually clean using lintless swab and 91%+ alcohol (or cleaning solution made for the job). Just remember never to clean using an up and down motion on video heads. This can cause the fragile heads to shatter. Hold the swab steady and hand turn the drum across it. Don't press against the heads; only a small amount of friction is required.

Reply to
Ray L. Volts

Thanks, it works again. It took several passes with a wet cleaning tape, then an abrasive one. I wonder why the picture disappeared suddenly. How long ago did they quit using heads with a mirror finish?

Reply to
sawney beane

Reply to
Papa_J

I wouldn't recommend cleaning unless it needs it. Tapes in good condition tend to do this on their own.

When the picture turns to snow suddenly, it is usually due to a defective tape - a crinkle in one place will do it. Regular head cleaning won't help and just increases the possibility of damage.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites: