Oddball Raytheon Subminiature QF-721 tubes

Hello, My apologies for the intrusion. but I have a question that I am hoping someone has an answer to. I have never posted to a news group, so again, my apologies if this does not meet the standard protocol.

I have a bunch of Raytheon Subminiature tubes that I inherited from my Father, who was an electronics bugg (I followed a different path) that have code QF-721. In searching the internet I have found a bunch of identical looking tubes such as one labeled CK6088. I have done lots of searches on the internet and I cannot find out anything about these and am wondering if you know about these, or if you can point me to a website that might shed some light on these.

I am considering the possibility of donating these to someone but if I cannot find out what they are for, I cannot imagine how I can find who to donate them to -- perhaps a school or something.

Reply to
Robert Seely

Try asking on rec.radio.amateur.boatanchors, or look for a related tube- electronics forum (it looks like r.r.a.b has died, alas).

Not many schools would be interested.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to

I've got a bunch of tube manuals, I'll look thru them and see if the number is listed.

Martin Riddle

Can you post a picture via photobbucket? ( take a picture of the tube next to a ruler and show all markings on the tube)

Martin Riddle

OK, here is a link to the pic of the tube in photobucket.

Thanks for checking it out for me. I am really stumped!

Reply to
Robert Seely

..

of

ext -

Darn -- forgot the ruler, sorry. But I measured the glass tube portion is 1 3/8", which does not include the wires coming out the end.

Reply to
Robert Seely

Here, have a look at this:

The 7435 looks similar to what you have; it's a detector diode. Most of the 5-lead subminis in this (small) databook are diodes of one type or another, although one or two may be single triodes with indirectly heated cathodes. Almost all of the tube data manuals ever printed are online somewhere; I can't find anything at all about that particular number. One possibility may be that what you have is a part with a "house number" put on it by Raytheon for a manufacturer who was interested in protecting his design (or in selling $3 replacement tubes for $30...) so it might be anyone's guess. Your best shot at this point is to shoot an e-mail to Raytheon (try tech support or customer service) and hope that some old silverback sees it and has the info rolling uselessly around inside his noggin. I have an RCA HB-3, the biggest and most comprehensive tube data book ever produced, and your number isn't in it. Of course, RCA might not have built that particular device due to patents or low demand, so that might not mean anything. I'm one of the best tube detectives on the planet, and I can't find squat on that one.

Damn, I hate it when that happens. ;-)

Lord Valve Glass Maven

Reply to
Lord Valve

I agree, what he may have is an experimental tube. It looks like the QF usually means experimental. the 248 is interesting, I'm wondering if that is a date code or an assembly plant.

has a raytheon book, but it is not listed.

Martin Riddle

Schools arent normally interested in tubes. Generally only museums or collectors would be.

NT

Reply to
NT

.com...

ytheon book,

Thanks guys for giving it a shot.

Punt! :-)

Reply to
Robert Seely

Robert Seely was thinking very hard :

Raytheon made a variety of tubes in this style for hearing aids.

In guided missiles (Bloodhound) designed in the UK after WWII there were similar tubes in the guidance systems but I can not remember who made the tubes. Ferranti made the quidance systems and I should be able to remember, but 1960 is a long while ago.

--
John G.
Reply to

John G laid this down on his screen :

Should have included this link before>Sorry.

--
John G.
Reply to

A particularly impressive feat was the development of proximity fused shells with about 3 of such valves to make a sort of doppler radar detonator that could survive being fired from an anti-aircraft artillery gun.

Reply to
Ian Field

Probably some surplus from the tired old proximity fuze days...

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Probably some surplus from the tired old proximity fuze days...

Someone posted a batch of proximity fuse schematics on A.B.S.E a few years ago - they may still have them.

Reply to
Ian Field

,

Schools sure are not interested in tubes and one reason might be because of the high voltages involved and litigious parents who have a habit of suing schools for killing kids by electrocution during science classes, and besides, tubes are like horse and buggy technology, nice ride, but slow, and well out of date, and there's a

1,001 other more important things to teach kids about.

If you can't find data at such tube data sites like

then to find out what's inside any tube you just have to experiment to find out. Not so easy, but the principles of operation of the sub-mini tubes is the same as most others, you need a heater voltage just right, anode to cathode voltage just right, grid and other electrode voltages just right, and see what you get using meters and oscilloscope.

Some sub-minies were used for hearing aid apps, so B+ was not high, nor was filament voltage and current. But principles are the same.

Not many people I know bother trying to use sub-minies for anything because most apps these days use octal, mini 9 pin or 7 pin tubes and plugs and sockets. Some ppl are say the best audio preamp might be made using a sub-mini with soldered in tube leads. I can't argue with them because I've never heard a preamp using sub-minies but I have an order from a guy wanting me to build such an amp. If you search around you'll find quite a few type numbers were made, but only very few have been given special status for hi-fi amps, and those tend to be high gm twin triodes. If you donate the truckload of sub-minies you have to Mr X who says he might like to use them it is most likely they will lurk on Mr X's garage shelf until he dies and never get used, and then be chucked out to the tip within 10 years by his relatives who don't care about the useless junk.

Patrick Turner.

Reply to
Patrick Turner

I'd put them on Ebay in lots of 5 pieces. Just start with one lot and see how much money it fetches. If you don't like the money, donate the money to any charity you like.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

Our eBay sales of subminiature Raytheon tubes have been abysmal. The market is zero.

<

Many thanks,

Don Lancaster

Thats because your pictures look weird (not like the actual item), the prices are a tad high and you don't ship overseas.

nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
Nico Coesel

p,

That's because you don't ship outside the US. I promise, it's not any harder than filling out a CN22.

Also your description is a bit off. Nuvistors were the great hope for the tube industry in the 1960s. Subminiature tubes are from the 1940s.

Reply to
a7yvm109gf5d1