Prospective Female Engineer

Frithiof Andreas Jensen wrote:

It sounds like you're talking about the C-47, the military variant which was developed after[1] the DC-3 civilian version was flying.

How did they propose to get the tank inside the aircraft? (No ramps on anything with its own engines until what??--the C-97?) . . [1] Ah, the days when companies innovated without a govn't contract.

Reply to
JeffM

I suppose that depends on the company. At my PPOE, there were several women working part time. One, it seemed, worked half/full time on alternating years, after spending a couple of non-contiguous years on maternity leave. She did quite well. It can be done.

--
Keith
Reply to

Back in the early '70's when I had a production line, I had several positions covered by two half-day female employees.

...Jim Thompson

krw wrote:

Jim Thomps>Back in the early '70's when I had a production line, I had

You old softie.

*.profit-sharing.*+*-Friendly-*+Copyrighted+health.and.medical.*.for.all.*.employees+before.unions.*.*.*.*.*+nursing.care+*.pension.*.for.all.*.employees+Barry.Goldwater+good.steward

Reply to
JeffM

Working at a university grad school that is about 40% female, I'd tell her to go for it. But I would add the caveat, that she should do some practical work along the way, Actually build some circuits, learn to use a scope, and hit the EE department up to hire her as a intern or departmental tech assistant etc. Right now I'd guess where I'm at the skilled to unskilled ratio is 1 to 12 or 1 to 15 regardless of male or female. Many of our students have ZERO lab or production time before they get here.

I spend a lot of time teaching screwdriver/hammer/plumbing/soldering skills to students so they can understand their experiments, and the thing that gets people ahead here is a good mastery of the practical world plus the theory.

Get her started in robotics or RC planes or microcontrollers or something, even if its a basic stamp!

Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

I suppose.

Everyone thinks I'm a hard-liner just because I'm death on leftist weenies ;-)

Back in my management days I even forbid arguments/discussions in the workplace about religion or politics, on pain of firing.

And I'm really quite tired of religion being a prime element of the Republican party, and I'm pro-abortion.

So there! I might even vote for Obama if McCain (actually a moderate on social issues) isn't the Republican candidate.

But I can never vote for Shrillary :-(

...Jim Thompson

It's good to see you have come around to my point of view. McCain is my choice so far.

You old closet leftist weenie.

Reply to
Don Bowey

What were they they other half of the day?

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

McCain is a stand-up guy in my book but I really have a hard time with his inability to say "Wrong war; wrong reason; wrong time".

I find it fascinating that before the rise of the NeoCons, before the Reaganites, Hillary was a Goldwater Republican. I shake my head when I hear someone say "the party of Lincoln" with a straight face these days. The lines have shifted.

Reply to
JeffM

There's where we differ... we should have gone in with 5X as many troops, and killed anyone who so much a farted the wrong odor ;-)

:-(

...Jim Thompson

Some were home with their children... some were attending community college (which we paid for in our benefits package).

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

That is the worst piece of shit I've ever had to pull a wrench on. An aluminum doggy-turd can.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Neither can we leftist weenies...I'd rather have Huckaby. At least the son of a bitch doesn't pull punches and answers his honest heart.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Huckleberry _honestly_ believes the world is only 6000 years old.

-a

Reply to
Andy Peters

You know you could lie and tell us that she has spent the last 25 years in prison and get almost as much sympathy. ;-)

--
Paul Hovnanian	paul@hovnanian.com
Procrastinators: The leaders for tomorrow.

Who was it that said, "I'll be your huckleberry" ??

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

[snip]

Her husband is a put-em-on-death-row prosecutor ;-)

She is going to run for office next fall, and she'll win ;-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | America: Land of the Free, Because of the Brave

Johnny Mercer? Or was that "dingleberry"?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Her parent said she is graduating high school with straight As. I haven't met her yet. But if she is good with the practical side, I might just hire her for the summer.

Yes, for my selfish reason, I will get her to build/program some uC projects.

Reply to
linnix

Doc Holliday

...Jim Thompson