printing with formfeeds

GNU enscript will turn it into a PDF. You can control whether it observes or ignores formfeeds, among many other things (see attached).

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I used Foxit to turn it into a PDF. It recognizes the pages. But it doesn't print as pages!

I still write plenty of code.

As Don said, nowadays it's LOTS more lines of code, but that's OK. It is still good to be able to print out parts of code. Not like old assembly listings though.

Maybe I need one of those tall portait oriented monitors ?

Reply to
boB

Being able to COMFORTABLY read a "page" of text is, IMO, almost essential. Esp for things like source code -- you don't want to have to scroll (much) to see The Big Picture.

It's also helpful when viewing PDFs, etc.

The problem with portrait orientation is the screen ends up too narrow for most other things.

I experimented with a 30" landscape flanked by a pair of

24" portrait (they end up comparable dimensions, vertically). This was good if I wanted to have a PDF open on a "side" monitor and use the larger monitor for my main workspace.

But, when there was no need for a PDF (or other "page display"), the tall skinny monitors on each side ended up underutilized; too narrow to do "real work".

I ended up leaving a pair of 30" on my software workstation. I "work" on one and have the other available for supporting documents (schematics, datasheets, etc.)

Install a PDF printer and route whatever you want to that device. Then, open the PDF and annotate it as needed. If you really want to have a piece of paper to scribble on, print the page(s) that are important to you.

Just remember to discard them lest you find yourself with scraps of various "vintage" lying around.

Reply to
Don Y

Try enscript. It's good medicine.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It originates in Unix, in the days of the lineprinter.

When you use Word you have the backend that I described: Word does the formatting and sends ready-made pages to the printer. That should work, even when there are wrapped lines (if not too many to destroy the layout).

I don't know offhand if Word treats a FF character as a hard page break when it reads textfiles, but when it does you should be OK.

Reply to
Rob

Have a PostScript printer? Use a2ps, should be available on any Linux system, the source should be available to compile it on Windows. It takes in raw ASCII text and puts out PostScript with all the formatting. It can also do portrait or landscape, and multiple pages/sheet, there are a ton of options.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson