Prices from online component stores

Why are some prices of some components outrages. I regularly see prices for
things that are 100 times or more than their normal value. 15$ for a 1$
switch, 30$ for a small 0805 1k ohm resistor, etc... about half the
components generally are drastically overpriced.

I assume it is due to some automated price determine algorithm? (as the
prices tend to be larger when out of stock)

But surely they also do this intentionally to increase profit margins?  I'm
sure they could include in the algorithm some error control to prevent
extreme cases(which I come across all the time when I'm scanning for parts).

I'm sure I don't need to show proof but

http://www.mouser.com/Electromechanical/Switches/Slide-Switches/_/N-5g2x?P=1z0z16bZ1yzsmhaZ1yzxem6&Ns=Pricing|0

15$ for a 1$ switch. It's bad enough that many components are overpriced but
sometimes it's hard to tell if they are screwing you such as the first
switch which is 2.26$. It seems a bit high but OTH you expect it to be
higher in small quantities. The switch itself probably costs less than 0.2$
to make.

Even in "medium" quantities some of these components still seem quite
expensive.

I'm just curious if this is "capitalism" at it's best or some strange quirk
of a computer algorithm?

Re: Prices from online component stores

Not really, $15 for 5000.  Although we can get it for $5 somewhere.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name3D%P1.0KATR=
-ND

Just cost of doing business, in general.

Re: Prices from online component stores

Not really, $15 for 5000.  Although we can get it for $5 somewhere.
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=P1.0KATR-ND

Just cost of doing business, in general.

------------------

No, sorry. Mouser only gives unit prices.

http://www.mouser.com/Passive-Components/Resistors/Surface-Mount-Resistors/Thick-Film-Resistors/_/N-7h7yz?P=1yzvlvbZ1yzvlksZ1yzteeuZ1z0x6frZ1z0x6d8Z1z0x63tZ1z0wkxp&Ns=Pricing|1

2.70$ for a 200ohm 10% resistor. The lowest price in the same category is
0.04$. over 50 times smaller. Both are unit price. Of course the high priced
one does drop down to 0.15$ for reel of 5k but that’s stull 3 times more and
30 times the price for 5k reels.

Re: Prices from online component stores

Do not have time to go through 2551 items.

Do not see this price.

Smaller in what? 0805 is 0805 size.

I only see 1 to 4 cents range.

Re: Prices from online component stores

When I click on that link, i get 2551 thick film resistors listed.
Are you guys getting a different result?  Anyway, who in his right
mind would buy one smd resistor?

Re: Prices from online component stores

Well, I think that was the problem. He did not see the fact that those
were not stocked. The .04 and .15 resistors were stocked. He's not
reading everything on the page.

Re: Prices from online component stores

When I want something but I'm not set on a particular part from the
get-go, I get into the correct general class and then sort on number in
stock as one of the ways of finding suitable parts (if the data sheet
looks like it will work) at a reasonable price. Sorting on price is also
helpful if you first eliminate parts not in stock.

Re: Prices from online component stores

Well, I think that was the problem. He did not see the fact that those
were not stocked. The .04 and .15 resistors were stocked. He's not
reading everything on the page.

----

Wrong. Do you even check for parts yourself? or maybe this is a mouser
issue?

http://www.mouser.com/Semiconductors/Transistors/Transistors-General-Purpose/MOSFET-Power/_/N-7h6e2?P=1z0y25u&Ns=Pricing|0

67$ for a quad mosfet 0.53A 30V. 24 in stock. You can find the same in a
discrete package for 100 times cheaper.

If you did any searching on mouser at all you would see these pop up all the
time.

Re: Prices from online component stores

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that very few of the quad FETs
are used?

You have *way* too much time on your hands.

Re: Prices from online component stores
    General who??

Re: Prices from online component stores

Compare the specs. A high precision low temp co. resistor can be very
expensive. I always search by value & case style and then sort by
price (low to high).

And yes there are errors in databases. Sometimes exactly the same
component is listed under two different numbers (yes, in the same
packaging).

Re: Prices from online component stores

$15 is 100 * $1?

Example?

Then they won't sell it, right?

Because they don't just order one 0805 resistor.  They'll order a reel and
send you one, not to mention the cost of counting one off the reel and the
packaging that goes with it. Anyone who buys resistors onesy-twosy deserves to
pay 100x.

$2.26 for one, $1.56 (each) for 100.  You think that's outrageous?

Probably not, but that's irrelevant.

So don't buy them.  That's how I handle things, even with other people's
money.  Pretty simple, really.

I suppose capitalism does cause some to whine.

Site Timeline