Precise solder paste application?

I read in sci.electronics.design that TRABEM

Reply to
John Woodgate

Yes but not with paste, never having much luck applying it nicely.

For SOIC type chips I just 'tin' the pads with cored solder and a big iron. Quickly wiping a big blob of solder across a row of pads with the iron tip leaves a suitable amount of solder on each pad and enough residual flux. I then hold the chip in place and reflow it with the pyropen.

For discreets I tend to hand solder them with a small bit deliberately placing them skewed then reflow just long enough to see them 'snap' into place.

And yes the exhaust gas is more inert than hot air and possibly even reducing, I have no idea how much carbon monoxide it contains.

Reply to
nospam

I read in sci.electronics.design that nospam wrote (in ) about 'Precise solder paste application?', on Mon, 3 Oct 2005:

I wasn't going to mention that. Do your colleagues have red faces at the end of the day? (;-)

John Woodgate