Power supply wisdom

We pay about $4 for VASD1 dual-output converters. They don't even get warm at 1 watt out.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Ah, sorry, it was a Freudian lapss. I thought cascade instead of multiplier. Yes, absolutamente, there have to be a cap mulipliers for the analog supplies.

They do but does it matter?

You could use a netbook supply since those are much smaller and you don't need lots of power. Electrolytics are ok if used indoors. You can get 5k/125C versions. But you'd have to ship different wall warts for each market. A laptop brick is easier, all you need is a power cord matching the country's wall outlets. With a wall wart you are stuck and you normally can't use adapters, mainly because then they sag and it's also frowned upon by Inspecteur Clousieau from the fire department.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

The product this is intended to replace gets its power from binding posts on the back, marked +15, -15, and ground--the anointed power supply is hundreds of dollars extra. Sort of like a Tektronix probe power supply--$1200 for a +-15V supply and four LEMO connectors. So a $10 modem-style wall wart would be a huge improvement, even if we shipped both US and European ones in every box.

The power supply standard for laptops changes on a shorter time scale than the lifetime of decent electrolytics--last winter I was in San Jose when my 16V Thinkpad power brick died. I found _one_ brick at Fry's (out of several dozen) that had a voltage switch on it. All the others were 18V, and had the wrong connector. With the big shift towards tablets, the laptop power supply doesn't look as timeless as it once did.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

You didn't say what your preferred input voltage is, but you could do all of that easily with a handful of switching regulator chips from just about any of the usual suspects. Switching speeds have gone sky high, which means that inductors are cheap and teeny.

I will admit to advanced laziness, which usually causes me to go with Linear Technology ('cause LTSpice has good models). But National sells 'em (if you don't mind _no_ models), and so do a whole bunch of other folks.

One for +3.6, one for +15, one for -15, one for +75 -- done!

http://www.wescottdesign.com
Reply to
Tim Wescott

bly

ey'll

ors

he

ut

and

ven less.

me.

There's all sorts of things that get smaller as the signal voltage goes up. DC offsets for one.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

less.

You are correct for bipolar circuits (more voltage means more dynamic range). For CMOS ICs, you often get less noise at lower voltages due to thinner oxide producing higher gm for the same size device.

So you make a boost converter for the photodiode bias. But this voltage is right at the front end. I assume a great deal of effort goes into filtering the bias supply lest it feed into the amp. Why choose the Cockcroft-Walton tripler over a simple two cap charge pump?

Reply to
miso

Notebooks are not going away.

The universal supplies come with a bag of tips. You pick the tip for you notebook. It has the right physical dimension and the tip programs the voltage. Occasionally you have to request the manufacturer send the tip. That makes it kind of useless for emergency use, but if you have a popular notebook (say Dell), the tip is usually in the bag.

There are maybe four brands of that style. Belkin, Kensington, Igo, and APC. I'm sure they are all ODMd.

Reply to
miso

On a sunny day (Mon, 09 Jul 2012 16:31:19 -0400) it happened Phil Hobbs wrote in :

I would use a small one transistor sine oscillar, feedback from emittor, like J.L. suggested, and I use for my photomultiplier HV. You can regulate that from say a 2V DC wallwart. The 3.6 with a LM2596 or the like. Custom transformer, only a few turns in your case, on a small EI core, or potcore.

Sine oscillaor is pretty quiet too. You can even stabilize those a bit:

Jan Panteltje

(probably

they'll

regulators

and

less.

me.

the

As the wise man said, "What we have here is a failure to communicate."

Try doing a front-end design sometime. The issues will become clearer very rapidly.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

(probably

they'll

and

wall

regulators

the

but

and

even less.

trust me.

Droping the

Sorry to bite your head off like that, miso. As I said in another post, I'm having problems getting paid by a large customer who certainly has enough money. Nothing personal.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The new universal power input is 5 volts micro-USB. That will be around for about forever. And a 5 or 12 volt wart with a barrel connector is a good long-term bet.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

probably

-V

x value.

s, and

rmer.

C wall

gulators

of the

ts, but

her, and

it

ply

too

ere for

d SEPIC

his

ng an

M317

obably

.

of

at

with

or.

ill

a FET

.

ve

ough

because

ck

voltage

some

anghai"

Also

eeding

e the

ase.

f 10

s run

py

seems to be three more or less standard psus;

5V usb, phone chargers etc. 12V barrel for external hdds ~19V barrel for laptops

-Lasse

Reply to
langwadt

(probably

value.

and

wall

regulators

the

but

and

SEPIC

FET

because

voltage

Shanghai"

We are buying a "high-end" Samsung USB supply with 3' cable for about $4. The low-end versions cost around $1 but won't reliably start up some loads.

A good switcher will current limit. Cheap ones sometimes detect overcurrent and shut down for a while, then retry. That won't pull up a negative-impedance load, like downstream switchers. We make sure all our internal switchers soft-start and/or have a startup threshold to minimize this risk.

I recently had a MeanWell switcher do this to me. It's seeing about

40,000 uF of capacitive load, and it goes into the repeated shutdown mode at powerup, and takes 15 seconds to come up.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Bingo! That would be the really future-proof way of doing that. At least in some parts of Europe chargers have already been standardized by law in some areas. If there's enough power it won't be a problem to make all the required voltages from that.

However, if the wall wart has one of those computer accessory brand names on it a high-falutin physics lab won't consider this anointed :-)

[...]
--

Well, put a sticker over the brand name and multiply the price by 5x or so. Unless you are a major instrument manufacturer, A***** or T********, where you can use 15x.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

J.L.

potcore.

Spread-spectrum switching is an option for something whose output might be analyzed in the frequency domain. It's usually easy and can drop spectral lines 20 dB or more.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

(probably

value.

regulators

the

but

and

SEPIC

because

voltage

Shanghai"

Ah, no prices means it's like with Rolls-Royce parts, one does not ask for pricing :-)

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

I've done this before in 120/240 50/60Hz powered instruments- using multipliers and such like. It's a bit nicer with a center-tapped xfmr because you can use a single HD04 (WO4 in the old days) and a couple of caps to get +/-V full wave rectified (assuming most of the current goes from +15 to -15, the load is reasonably balanced on the transformer and you only have to overrrate for the capacitive loading).The diodes themselves introduce a bit of 120Hz hash when they switch, but you know how to deal with that. Using half-wave rectification just doubles the cap size, not a huge deal most likely. Probably power line isolation is a bit better with an approved linear supply than a switching supply. The caps in the unit will likely fail before anything else.

Last time we needed linear adapters I simply had exactly what I wanted made, all UL and CSA with our own logo on them. We needed some thousands of pieces, not sure how that would work with smaller lots, and you also want to be reasonably sure (even with the approvals) that nothing with your name on it is going to do anything embarassing.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

(probably

value.

and

wall

regulators

the

but

and

SEPIC

FET

because

voltage

Shanghai"

Right. Just give us your PO number.

It's like Obamacare: "You have to pass the bill to see what's in it."

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

(probably

value.

regulators

and

Why would anybody choose a micro-usb connector for anything that had room for a bigger connector. They're just too fragile.

Reply to
mike