POWER SUPPLY FIRE

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 13:28:56 -0500, "Paul E. Schoen" wrote:

: :"Ross Herbert" wrote in message :news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com... :>

:> I never saw anything which indicated that the 20A CB tripped. In fact I :> think the OP said it didn't iirc. : :From the OP's first post: : : "20A industrial circuit with a GFI, backed by a breaker into a : bus fused at 400A. Breaker tripped, NO GFI trip." : : :> I can recall an instance several years back where a client experienced a :> spontaneous fire on the motherboard of a new IBM desktop PC. The SMPS, :> being :> 350W (I think), did not go into hiccup mode because the fault condition :> was such :> that the SMPS was happy to continue to supply sufficient current to :> maintain the :> fire. By the time the fire was up and away the printed circuit board :> tracks had :> melted and disconnected the fault from the SMPS output and the fire kept :> going :> of its own accord. Because the fault condition was now disconnected from :> the :> SMPS it continued to operate normally and was not subject to an overload. :> No :> mains fuse or any other protective device associated with that PC was :> activated. : :The SMPS in this unit was probably no more than 100 watt, and more likely :about 60 watt, and fused at about 1 or 2 amps, because the load was: : : "We're talking two 30 watt HV modules systems here" : :And only one was used at any time. It really sounds like something on top :of the supply ignited and reached a temperature where the aluminum may have :burned, although the lack of Al oxide is puzzling. Apparently there was a :consequential fire involving other flammable materials that may have caused :the line cord to burn. But it's also puzzling why the conductors in the :conduit were melted on both sides of the outlet: : : "Wiring was conduit from the panel to a Ul approved lab : grade outlet strip built along the wall, wiring for 4 feet on : either side of the outlet in use was burnt/destroyed." : :I'd love to see the pictures... : :Paul : :

Thanks, for the precis Paul. Like yourself, we are all left to make suppositions about the details of the SMPS, the input fuse rating etc, in this matter. It might be helpful if the OP could say what these details were. The 20A CB might have only tripped after the fire was well alight and the insulation on the line cord had melted to allow the active and neutral (or earth) to come into contact.

I also surmised that the SMPS would be in the region of 100W, which, if I am correct in remembering its output voltage was 15V, would mean that it would go into overload protection at somewhere around 7.5A. Since there was only ever one HV unit operating at any time, then a 50-60W SMPS would have been adequate and this would have limited the maximum fault current available.

However, assuming a 100W SMPS, as long as the overload condition stays below

7.5A, a current of, say 6A continuous, is quite capable of producing sufficient heat in components (if there is flamable material around) to cause a fire. As I related, this would be similar to the fire situation I described in a brand new IBM desktop pc some years back. The mains input fuse did not blow, and the SMPS continued operating as normal - and the fire kept going. Had not the office been occupied at the time - we all know that many establishments leave their desktops on 24/7 - this could well have resulted in a more serious fire.

In a hypothetical situation, assuming that an overload fault condition (not a dead short) had developed in the HV switcher, and which was insufficient to cause the SMPS to go into "hiccup" mode, had there been a E-T-A ESX10 smart circuit protector rated at say 2.2A (assuming 80% efficiency of the HV switcher) on the output of the SMPS, a fault current of around 2.9A (min) - 4A (max) would have tripped it within seconds of the overload condition occurring, and disconnected the fault condition from the supply. Without current to continue the heating process a fire would not occur. This reduced current is well below the maximum output current from a 15Vdc, 100W SMPS under the same circumstances. And even in hiccup mode the SMPS can deliver short duration high current pulses into a fault (not a dead short) which might be sufficient to maintain heated components in that condition.

We all would love to see the photos, but since there is legal action pending, that isn't possible.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

One thing still bothers me, the destruction described is on the order of many thousands of watt-seconds. A 50 or 100 W switcher is not going to produce that kind of energy in a sufficiently short amount of time. The big power came from the 400 A bus. The question is: how was the path created.

Reply to
JosephKK

Ok, I cant post pics, creative lawyering.

It was not the SMPS, focus is now off the clients unit and onto operational procedures involving fuses.

Steve

Reply to
osr

focus is now on fuses and chemicals, sTEVE

Reply to
osr

I am curious if the supply was left on and unattended for a long period. You might see if the power switch was left on, the heat may have left marks indicating where the switch was set to. If so might indicate poor practice by the lab or violation of their own policies. My college student son says that it is policy at his chemistry lab to turn all power and gas off at each workstation when done for the day. A master switch and valve exists in the lab for emergencies.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"©

"Use only Genuine Interocitor Parts" Tom Servo  ;-P
Reply to
RFI-EMI-GUY

:Ok, I cant post pics, creative lawyering. : :It was not the SMPS, focus is now off the clients unit and onto :operational procedures involving fuses. : :Steve

Can you say in what regard the focus is now on fuses?

As I have said before, an SMPS which experiences a full short circuit of the output will self protect and go into hiccup mode. This condition will NOT blow the normally rated input fuse. So even if the fuse had been replaced by a nail it would not make any difference. There will be no overheating effect in the SMPS at all during a normal overload condition. Only a catastrophic failure of components on the input side to the SMPS will the fuse blow. Has the input side of the SMPS been checked for component failure? If it is badly burnt in this area it may not be possible to determine if this has happened or not.

If the fuse had been replaced with a nail (or some other device), then a catastrophic failure of input components would reflect back into the protective devices on the 110Vac supply feeding the SMPS. In this instance the 20A CB would have to be relied upon for the sole protection of the circuit and if this device did not trip within 30 seconds then a fire could result.

Reply to
Ross Herbert