Power supply unstable at correct voltage input setting

I have two FSP150-50PL Flex-ATX 150W switching power supplies that I received brand new with a strange problem. They have a 115/230 switch on the back, and being in the US, I moved it to 115V. I noticed the case was awfully warm for the low power motherboard and single hard drive it was powering. Then the power supply started shutting down, requiring that I momentarily disconnect AC power before it would work again. Sometimes the motherboard would lock up. In a nutshell, instability.

I tried the other power supply, which I did not initially notice was still set at 230V. It ran much cooler, and after hours of testing, no shutdowns or lockups.

I haven't tried the other power supply set at 230V yet, but I'm guessing it'll act the same. Isn't this really strange?

Reply to
hondgm

Don't guess -- try. It may be a one-off assembly error rather than a design problem. I'd suggest trying the one you've already abused at the

230V setting, but I'd have a fire extinguisher handy.

And yes, it sounds very odd indeed.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Have you checked your outlet for miss wiring or ground fault problem? You could be in effect getting 240 volts.

"

Reply to
Jamie