Power over ethernet

Anybody got an experience of POE?

I want approx. 9V 400mA out of it. So far I have looked at solutions from LTC and Nat Semi and they are going to take up a lot of board space.

Regards,

IanM

Reply to
IanM

Quoted:

The 802.3af PoE specification details all of the requirements for designing PoE equipment. Two types of devices are specified in the standard: Power-Sourcing Equipment (PSE) and a Powered Device (PD). The PSE provides 48-V DC power, with a current limit of 350 mA, to the PD?be it a VoIP phone or wireless access point. The PSE is limited to a continuous maximum power output of 15.4 W.

End Quote

If it can provide 48 V at 350MA, you should surely be able to get your done. All of the routers I have seen were normally sized, so unless you are making a device that is not a 1U rack form factor, I cannot see how you would be so concerned.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

It's an access control terminal, pcb is about 3 in by 3 in.

The design in the link below is similar to the ones I have been looking at on the LTC and Nat Semi websites

IanM

On a sunny day (Thu, 9 Apr 2009 18:53:03 +0100) it happened "IanM" wrote in :

I just put 12V on one end, and a 7805 on the other, worked for more then a year, until I no longer needed it. Not any official standard though.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That alone looks like it would take up more than 3 x 3.

An "access control terminal" sounds more like a device, than a source.

A PSE is a source equipment device. A PD is a powered device in PoE nomenclature.

Perhaps you could simply use a PoE router so the power is generated before your device, and then passes said power downstream.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

There IS a standard. 802.3af

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yes it is a PD. The goal is to take whatever it is a PoE router passes down the liine and convert it to 9V @ 400mA.

Reply to
IanM

Put the power conversion inline. There are likely even off the shelf solutions for DC-to-DC power sources that are inline.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Yes, I like that idea. Thanks.

Reply to
IanM

Only applies to 10/100BASE T.

Martin Riddle

There is one for GbE then as well, because we have GbE Poe Cisco routers in our buildings. They are fully addressable ports, which only work when activates via administrative hooks.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

John Larkin had found a nice line of little switchers of the "crack out of the package, solder, done" kind. Could be from National. Pricey but if low qty could be ok. TI has some, too.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've designed a PSE (Power Sourcing Equipment) Gb Ethernet interface. From memory, the powered device must correctly identify itself as a POE load (by means of a correct start-up load sequence), if the PSE chipset does not see the correct load then power is switched off. So you can't just connect a DC-DC converter to the end of the line, you need a specifc PoE load chip to take care of the smart power-up mode.

There are simpler non-stand solutions that simply couple 48V down the line, but they are not part of the PoE standard.

The chip solutions generally don't need a large PCB footprint, and a 48V to

9V DC-DC converter can be made really small as well.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

That won't work. You need one of these PD chipsets:

Plus the 48V to 9V DC-DC converter. This looks like the smallest PD chip solution from Maxim:
Cheap and easy to implement.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

Thanks Dave,

thats the lowest parts count solution I have seen so far. The application examples in the datasheet with the wall wart adapter as alternative power source are exactly what I want to do.

Ian

Reply to
IanM

IIRC the standard is 42V(ish) at upto 400mA between two pairs.

If you don't care about standards and are prepared to just use unused pairs in a 100Mb/s CAT5 run the you can do anything you want.

where they are quoted the connectors seem to be specced for conducting upto 2A current.

if you want to go the standards way you need centre-tapped ethernet transformers that can handle the common-mode current. and apropriate regulation and signalling circuits to make it all work.

Reply to
Jasen Betts

Ever heard of google? It would save your foot from teeth marks.

48V @ 350mA.
Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

You better be concerned. The power isn't applied unless you enable it using some kind of protocol. You'll need switching controller with POE negotiation. Freescale has some pretty simple, reasonable priced controllers for this purpose.

                     "If it doesn\'t fit, use a bigger hammer!"
Nico Coesel

Maybe you should try reading the entire thread next time, dipshit.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

I'm sorry that I didn't read all the episodes of your answer. Maybe you should try to squeeze it all in one -not so boring- episode :-)

At least I point to a working solution for the OP's problem.