power distribution in vga extender

I am currently designing a vga extender by converting the r,g,b,hs,vs signals to 3 balanced pair signals. The goal is to use a 4th pair for powering the receiver. What is your oppinions on this (I am nostly doing digital design):

1) Do I need galvanic isolation for the power? 2) Is there an easy way to limit the current to prevent frying the pcb or the cable. 3) I am using a linear regulator for 5vdc and a voltage inverter for

-5vdc. Because it is cheaper than a dc-converter. It is not worth going for a dc converter, is it?

Reply to
embedded