12v dc power distribution circuit

Might be easy, might not.

How much current do each of the 3 volt loads need? Do any signals communicate between these 4 circuits? This is a way of asking if these circuits need to be isolated from each other or may share a common negative or positive supply rail.

Reply to
John Popelish

Hi I'm building a circuit bent instrument with several circuits in it. I want to run them all off one power supply rather than several different battery packs, I want to run 4 3v dc circuits from a 12v dc power supply, can anyone point me to a schematic?

Cheers Ed

Reply to
asmo

----- +12 ---+---Vin|LM317|Vout---+---+---> +3 | ----- | | | Adj [R1] | | | | |+ [C1] +----------+ [C2] | | | | [R2] | | | | Gnd ---+---------+--------------+

C1 = .1uF C2 = 10 uF R1 = 240 R2 = 336

Above is a simple voltage regulator circuit based on the LM317 chip that will provide 3 volts output. Your answers to John's questions will determine whether you can use it in your project.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I'm not sure about the current, it consists of the circuits from 2 vtech tiny touch phones,early learning toys, which run on 2 AA batterys each. The 16 pins from each IC are routed to a patch bay so, yes there is some cross wireing, the other 2 circuits are simple 555 astable circuits which act as LFO's which can be patched into various points. Ed

Reply to
asmo

The simplest way to get several different 3 volt supplies from a 12 volt main supply is probably to use linear regulators, like LM317T, programmed with a pair of resistors to produce a 3 volt output. If the 3 volt loads draw more than about 50 mA, you will need heat sinks on the regulators to keep them from overheating.

See:

This arrangement would require that the negative side of the

12 volt main supply were common to all loads.
Reply to
John Popelish