power dissipation of the datasheet of an igbt, and real power dissipation

Hi, I'm designing an inverter, the characteristics are DC bus voltage

300V, Irms =3D 30 A, pwm frecuenzy 100 Hz, and a maximum junction temperature 80=BAC, i have used this calculator

to stimate the power losses and i get 160W and the aproximate resistance of the heat sink is 0.117 =BAC/W, the igbt that i have choosen is this, IRG4PSC71UD in the datasheet says that maximum power dissipation at Tc =3D 100=BAC is 140W, so the igbt will be able to dissipate my power losses?, according to the datasheet yes, if that igbt can't dissipate my losses, this igbt will be able IRGPS60B120KD?, the datasheet says that Pd at 25=BA is 600W and at 100=BAC 240W,

Reply to
overgeo

The second part has a larger die, and hence a lower junction-case thermal resistance, but it's a 1200V part (whereas you can get by fine with a 600V part), so it has poorer C-E saturation voltage, e.g., 2.5V vs 1.83V at 60A for the first part. And you could do even better with a large-die 600V part.

Dunno about the calculator, e.g., it's not obvious how they can calculate switching losses without knowing gate-drive current and without specific IGBT knowledge, etc., and their default package case-sink insulator thermal resistance appears too optimistic. I'd want bench verification before relying on the calculator.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Winfield Hill ha escrito:

Thanks for your answer, sorry about my description of my calculator i only give the info about my inverter not about the calculator, in the calculator of course you got to put the thermal resistence, the voltage drop of the diode, the r on of the igbt and the r on of the diode, the t rise, t fall and some more parametres.

I said the second part because is the discrete igbt that i have seen with the biggest power dissipation. I prefer use a 600V igbt, that it adapts better to my specifications of voltage and current and i get lower power losses. can you tell a 600V igbt wich can dissipate my power losses?, thanks so much.

Reply to
overgeo

not to appear to be overbearing, but I will soon be selling 300A, 600v half bridge IGBTs for 15 dollars apiece. They are very large and can dissipate a lot of heat, pretty good deal for the price and your little 30a current.

Ignoramus24559

A large IGBT module, good choice. Two appealing features of these modules are the integral heat-sink insulation, and the captive-nut high-current wiring. What's your p/n?

One unappealing feature of IGBT modules is their high price, but this is ameliorated by their availability on eBay from sellers who remove them from old 3-phase motor drives, etc.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win