Popular components for SMPS design!

What are the popular PWM ICs these days for SMPS design of Optimum quality?

What are the most popular power switches?

What is the most popular topology?

Regards

Reply to
Myauk

You don't want to do that to yourself or others.

All these IC's just implement the functions to achieve different methods of control. Start looking at the building blocks.

Power circuits. Non-Isolated Buck, Boost, Flyback(Buck-Boost to merkins). Move on to the isolated versions. Single Switch Forward/Flyback, Two Switch Forward/Flyback, Half Bridges, Full Bridges, Push-Pull...... There are more when you start to get esoteric.

Control Circuits. Oscillators and ramps, error amplifiers, modulators, drivers, start up circuits.

Control Methods. Voltage mode control. Voltage Feedforward. Peak Current Mode control. Slope compensation. Average Current Mode control.

When you get your head around that sort of stuff then you'll be in a position to make up your own mind about what you need to do a particular job and then you can look at the IC's and decide which one has the bits in it you need to get the job done.

It's like other subjects, but worse if you are not at 'school'. The information might be out there but you have to beat your head against it. Even when you get part of the way there you are only part of the way there.

That gives you specific links to the Unitrode stuff at TI and lot's of other interesting links.

Where the 'Big Boys' hang out.

If you feel the need to get into serious analysis. Well above my head, I do things in a simpler and probably incorrect way. However, if you nail this one you will be The Man.

DNA

Reply to
Genome

And when you think you are all the way there something unexpected happens. Like a wee bit of inductor saturation followed by a loud bang, leaving three charred pins dangling where the big FET used to be...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

Proper SMPS designers don't get jobs designing them.

The Real SMPS designers have moved on to create the next job.

Ooooooops, Bummer.

DNA

Reply to
Genome