Poor Man's Gyrator

Ha! Another exhibition of Larkin's ignorance.

I just posted an analysis of Vladimir's version.

...Jim Thompson

You'd think that, after awhile, the bloviating would stop, and "engineers" would do a little analysis before shooting off their mouths... I'm aiming specifically at the narcissistic Larkin...

And the lurking punks would keep their mouths shut altogether, and read and learn. ...Jim Thompson

So shut up you lurning punks! Don't post anything, just listen and learn from the wisdom of the (henpecked but otherwise fearsome) Master Circuit Designer.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

So bloviates the Larkin village idiot... shoot's off mouth... but avoids discussing the real technical merits... otherwise he'll get his ass handed to him on a platter >:-} ...Jim Thompson

And what exactly would these lurking punks be learning, professional courtesy ?

Jamie

Reply to
Jamie

Are you going to keep pretending that you've killfiled me? I hope so; it's fun to insult you when you can't reply.

Did you see my simulated inductor netlist? Are you pretending that you didn't? Its parasitic resistance is shunt, not series, so it can simulate a superconductive solenoid (well, with some drift.) A reasonable single opamp sim'd inductor probably has to have resistive parasitics.

Get back to me when you've finished your chores.

Speaking of household chores, my photo backdrops all have creases. So I walked to Goodwill and bought a steam iron for $5. The thermostat is broken, and it melted the cheap plastic backdrop. So I went back, bought a cotton sheet to cut up, and then walked to Walgreens and got a real iron for $16.

This was hard to shoot, especially the reflective laser label. And this board has an especially ugly top layer silk.

We're getting 100 ps optical pulses out of that rig.

I'm still learning how to photograph electronics. It's not easy.

Too bad you can't see this.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

Wearing and shedding horns.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links
[snip]
[snip]

Reposted. Corrected title blocks (original posting had them reversed). ...Jim Thompson

They were also used to make simple cells for audio filters such as this one:

All is needed is a single active component, opamp or bjt, plus buffering. The more complex ones were likely multiband filters.

(page source contains the math).

Reply to
asdf

The fundamental reason you can't photograph well is that you do not take enough varied shots to get a really good one. It is a matter caring enough.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

Move the item away from the background. Light the background separately. Open the lens up and speed up the shutter speed. Use a lower ISO equivalent speed. Let the background go out of focus.

Your image is very sharp though.

A good DSLR makes all that easy.

Reply to
tm

You don't like that shot?

Taking a lot of bad photos doesn't produce one good photo.

Post an electronic photo that you've shot.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

The marketing guys photoshopped out the background, so it looks pretty good.

That was handheld, shooting straight down. I need the equivalent of a tripod, maybe a wooden frame, to support the cam for straight down. My tripod can't lean over a table into the tent and shoot down.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

For me, that shot was good. However, taking more shots with different lighting conditions and the like does improve the odds somewhat.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Straight-on shots invite reflections and/or contrast problems. ...Jim Thompson

I probably shot 8 or 10 of that one in total. The laser has a reflective label, and the first batch of shots looked terrible... the IPS logo was hard to read. I was shooting straight down into a small (~~1 cu ft) open-top tent with lighting from the sides. I had to position a sheet of paper partly across the open top of the tent to get a good, uniform reflection on the laser label.

I bought a tent kit from Amazon for about $75. It has two tents, a bunch of various color backdrops, a tripod, and two lights on their own small tropods. The tents make a huge difference when shooting electronics.

I shoot a lot of pics for ads and web pages and manuals and some for assembly guides. Most wind up small, so super quality isn't usually necessary.

Shooting a few pics for assembly is sure easier than making a monstrous exploded CAD assembly drawing. It's a good idea to have a released top-assembly drawing, but it can be a broad cartoon which references released photos for the details.

I like to put circuit scribbles and test data on a whiteboard, and shoot that and any associated bench setups, breadboards, and scope screens. All that can be archived for future reference, replacing a lab notebook.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

We always appreciate your expert advice. Post some pics of electronics that you have shot, especially non-straight-on ones.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

lean

If you're going to the trouble of making a stand, add side illumination so there is plenty of light but reflections of the lighting source are minimized. Bright diffused light is even better.

Reply to
krw

lean

The pic that I posted was shot in a tent with side lighting.

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom laser drivers and controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

lean

More light. ;-) Really, more light will get you better contrast and depth of field. It's perfectly readable, as it is, though.

Reply to
krw