Plotter as digitizer

(...)

Here netlist = "source file".

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

My "assigned responsibilities" are cradle to grave.

As I said, a very narrow view of one's responsibilities.

Your ultimate responsibility *is* the ultimate function of the widget and, yes, even the sales of said widget. If anything jeopardizes that, it *is* your responsibility.

Sure sounds like that's your attitude.

"Feeling good" has nothing to do with it. It's part of the engineer's job, even if it isn't spelled out.

Now it sounds like CYA. Sometimes that's necessary but not as a starting point.

Which is why the engineer takes *responsibility* for far more than the schematic.

Reply to
krw

The netlist?

Reply to
krw

It is _very_ rare for there to be significant differences in netlist files, irrespective of the simulator.

PSpice uses separate .CIR (test bench) and .NET (the actual circuitry).

To import into LTspice you simply concatenate .CIR + .NET ...Jim Thompson

(...)

Cool! Thanks!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I think you intimated that you have Autocad, it can do that but it is a nuisance to a real bother. Microstation can do it as well, even to a Bezier curve. Text to a circle in uSta is not bad but ellipse and Bezier can be a real pain.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

I am not good with that sort of thing, but i can at least follow what is the issue and can sometimes produce useful input (find a workable = solution for two or more).

?-/

Reply to
josephkk

(sigh) Tablet sold for a whopping $5. Unfortunately, the puck/pen wasn't included -- and I didn't feel like undertaking a quest for The Right Puck -- so I passed on it.

But, a friend has indicated that he has a large format tablet that I am welcome to use (of course, this means packing up a machine and heading over to his place to do the work... I'll have to think on that).

Reply to
Don Y

I think you may have misunderstood my comment (or I, yours!).

The symbols are all rectangular (or IEEE-ish). But, I've had past experiences where the choices that "Tool X" gives me in defining a symbol might make it difficult to fit the text (e.g., "pin NAMES") *within* the outline without "running out the other side".

E.g.,

+---+ | |

-O|> IRQ | | | | | +---+

Or, the absence of particular font capabilities:

+------+ | __ |

--|Rd/Wr | | | | | +------+

None are "deal breakers". They just make the problem a bit more involved than a trivial "copy"/transcribe.

Reply to
Don Y

(...)

Sounds like a quick cheap test. Good on ya.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No. The machine that has the tools in question on it weighs a good 45 pounds. It will be a fair bit of work to uncable it, drag it out and transport it to his place. And that assumes he's got a spare monitor, etc. that I can use (else I'll have to pack up one of those as well)

[Or, I can install the tools on a laptop or a tablet and carry *that* instead -- but that's a fair bit of effort as well! Why isn't "installation" simply a matter of COPYING a disk onto *your* disk (like it is on my UN*X boxen!)]

And, if I treat this as just a "test", that means I will need to repeat the exercise when I (and he) have time for me to do the actual transcription.

It's *really* nice having all your own tools so you don't end up with this extra overhead! :< E.g., don't own my own welding rig so spent an hour at a friend's house today welding an axle onto a frame for a small cart. :-/

At least I'm lucky enough to have well-equipped (and very cooperative) friends! :>

[I'll bake some brownies for his family tonight and endear myself to his wife and kids in the process ;-) ]
Reply to
Don Y

I was speaking in a 'relative' sense. Imagine ordering the 'D' tablet at full retail price and discovering to your horror that it was just too awkward to use with your 'E' print? The loan of the tablet and the haulage of your hardware looks cheap by comparison, yes? :)

If you *did* discover that his large format tablet was the cat's pajamas for recapturing prints, you would be likely to purchase such a tablet for your use, yes?

But you didn't have to store it all these years or take bottles in for filling, etc. too.

There is very little better in life than that.

Also consider buying a set of consumables for your friend's welder. It wouldn't go amiss, I am sure.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

No! :> I wouldn't want to have another "big item" to store around here -- hence the added appeal of finding someone who already *has* one! :>

Of course! Learned at a young age that one hand washes the other. Of course, it means I end up having to fix countless TVs, PCs, stereos, etc. (thankfully, folks consider cell phones to be disposable! :> )

No, too "materialistic". What he spent is peanuts. What I am expressing my gratitude for is his *time* -- by giving up some of *my* time in return, unsolicited. (Time, IMO, is far more precious than money!)

Reply to
Don Y

OIC

(...)

That would be a challenge, otherwise.

Really? Would your friend feel that way?

Have you priced a bottle of gas lately? The stuff is Compressed Gold. My last argon fill was ~65 dollarettes!

It sure is. What have you done for him lately? :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

He would wonder why I expressed concern over something as "trivial" as "supplies". If you went to the bathroom at a friend's house, would you replace the TP that you used? (an exaggeration but similar point) I.e., he was aware of what it would "cost" him (time *and* materials) when he offered to do it. I *can't* repay his time (that's gone -- though I can offer up a chunk of *my* time to show my appreciation). Replenishing his supplies is like offering to buy the *nails* for the guy who gives you his labor to frame your house!

:-/

YMMV. It just seems too "petty" ("OK, your generous

*favor* cost you $23.78 in supplies. Here's $30. Keep the change!")

Sorry, I can't come up with a good way to express the concept.

Understood. If you did "a little job" for me (weld a bar onto a length of angle) and I gave you $3.72, wouldn't that *cheapen* the experience for you? OTOH, if I bought you a new *bottle*, wouldn't you feel "guilty" knowing how *much* it cost and how *little* you actually "spent"?

OTOH, if I showed up with something *tasty* that was obviously home-made (i.e., represents a portion of my time as well as some ingredients -- even if you aren't capable of ascertaining how *much* of *either*) that you could also share with your family, wouldn't you, instead, think/say: "Wow, you didn't NEED to do that!" I.e., *he* didn't NEED to do the weld for me...

Aside from the brownies (I'll bring them over later today when I know he'll be home), rebuilt power supply in wife's computer; "interested company" while he's rebuilding his various vehicles, sandblasting his swimming pool; etc. I.e., "being neighborly" instead of just "occupying a nearby home".

Reply to
Don Y

I honestly don't think he would feel that way. He might say "You shouldn't have!" but I am sure that some filler rod or a spark lighter or a welding tip would give material meaning to your appreciation for his generosity.

Not yet. Soon, perhaps. :(

C'mon Don. You know what I mean.

It doesn't need to be expressed.

:)

That would depend. Ferinstance, in return for trimming a countertop insert for me, I drove 'way into the hills and retrieved a 3 drawer lateral file via Freecycle for a friend. Trades are very seldom of equal value. Sometimes I am very much in his debt, but I do my best to help out when he needs it.

As long as one tries to keep the balance even. We both are old enough to remember folks who would think nothing of borrowing your only spare tire, and never return it. I don't ever wanna be *that guy*. :)

I don't want to get into an endless 'repetition loop' about this, so I will happily drop the subject and spare both of us some time.

Good on ya.

As one of the groupers in rec.crafts.metalworking would occasionally say:"I think my neighbors are great! They think so, too. Funny how that works,"

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

I don't want to be the guy that *loans* it to him, either!

[for every "good" neighbor, it seems there is always a "taker" :< ]
Reply to
Don Y

Yup.

--Winston