Plotter as digitizer

You misunderstood... knowing the grid allows you to write the script, you need know virtually nothing of the symbol itself. ...Jim Thompson

There isn't an easy way to determine the grid spacing used on the original component? Is that the issue?

Except for the names, directions and polarities of each of the signals, and where they are to be placed in relation to each other, yes? :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

You're clearly not a Spice man... that's all in the template/model/subcircuit ;-) ...Jim Thompson

And schematics are for humans, netlists are for CAD. ...Jim Thompson

Cool! Here is your chance to capture those designs so you can extract a netlist, BOM and other nifty info.

(Winston smartass remark about startlingly user-vicious interfaces)

Yup. You got it.

(...)

'Sounds like trouble, perhaps requiring software to get the new OS interested in serial interface, too.

The good news is that modern tools are *so* much faster and easier to use. Think SPICE and CAD!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Right you are! I don't use SPICE.

LTSpice is so much faster and easier. :) I like it a lot!

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

That's the goal. Get rid of the paper and play with moving the designs into gate arrays, simulations, etc. See what can be done with 30 years of technological advances! :>

AFAICT, the mouse was a regular C9 with a different connector -- wired to a traditional UART on the "dongle" (which was actually a card sitting on the bus)

Yeah, but you can't edit *text* with SPICE or CAD! :>

Reply to
Don Y

(...)

Reminds me of Mouse Systems 'bus mouse'. :)

(...)

I do it all the time. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

And Verilog is in the middle?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Just another descriptive language, of which I'm considering. ...Jim Thompson

It's "Spice" also... I regularly feed LTspice netlists from other sources. ...Jim Thompson

Before reading any of the rest of the thread, there are D & E size scanners. And there are service bureaus that have them and will scan in your stuff for a $$$ fee. What is your data worth to you?

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

That is an added issue. Some service bureaus can provide that as well, mostly into Autocad files. Some can do Microstation as well. If you = want conversion into other formats it can get ugly and expen$ive.

?-)

Reply to
josephkk

as

Well, I'm just finishing the first test of the time machine I constructed back then. I've run it *forward* at 1.0 times normal time for a bit over 30 years and it seems dead on! Chronometer indicates 10/10/2011 and I'll be damned if that isn't what it actually *is*!

Now, I'll see if I can get REVERSE working. Once I get back there, I can start work on back-porting 21st century technologies! Keep your eyes open for exciting new products from TimeCo, Inc!!

And what, exactly, were you using in 1978?

Nope. I only answer for my assigned responsibilities. "Product Success" and positive revenue depend on too many other staff from the folks who did the market research and product specification to the guys assembling the product and shipping it out the back door. Had this discussion with a colleague several decades ago. Made up our minds, back then, that we can't hold ourselves responsible for things that are beyond our control (and not our express responsibility). If client makes bad decisions, client ultimately pays the price :-/ (all we can do is advise)

Reply to
Don Y

It is fascinating.

Years ago, I was given the task of translating a co-worker's Verilog source as a schematic for some unknown reason. It wasn't to be just a random parts splat; it had to make sense and look appealing. The process was a lot easier than I thought it would be and the finished document was very nice, even if I do say so myself.

The co-worker was deeply embarrassed when I mentioned to him that the section he advertised as a 'FIFO' was little more than a single register. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

(...)

Another childhood illusion, STH. :)

Do you have a format converter or is LTS so powerful that it translates from the source files of other SPICE flavors without spitting up?

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

as

I didn't realize that you were talking about history (using the present tense is misleading). Historically, yes, in an ALU it was typical to do one bit per

*multiple* sheets. As I mentioned, a mainframe could be *racks* of schematic books, each sheet 'C' sized or bigger (don't remember). That's hardly relevant to today's practice, though.

Again, you didn't indicate you were talking about ancient history. In '78 I was using a system called TILES (Toronto Interactive Logic Entry System) on a mainframe. It was the graphic front-end to EDS, a complete end-to-end design system. I told you what the paper looked like; a cart/rack of books perhaps

60"x30"x30" for part of a mainframe. Hardly relevant to today's practice, however.

Pretty narrow vision, however that is the assignment.

So you're a "throw it over the wall" kind of guy?

That sounds good on paper, but it's a piss-poor attitude in life. It doesn't work that way.

Reply to
krw

Tell me... what is a Spice "source file"? ...Jim Thompson

The cheapest schematic converter I've found is a grad student ;-) ...Jim Thompson