Please clarify European resistor value notation for me

It's about clarity. Some folks don't remember a time when they weren't masters of their own domains and had to work from an 8th-generation photocopy of a schematic.

*-*-*-*-*-anybody-else's-prints+We're.talking.about.my.company+Worst.case+hard-copy-only+work-on-his-product

Reply to
JeffM

*-*-*-*-*-anybody-else's-prints+We're.talking.about.my.company+Worst.case+hard-copy-only+work-on-his-product

Remember blueprints, from the time when they were really blue? Or those "copiers" where you had to turn a crank and the quality gradually dropped with each copy?

Anyhow, I never had trouble reading US schematics even when xeroxed poorly or faxed. An engineer worth his salt should notice when a capacitor seems to be three orders of magnitude out of whack ;-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg
[snip]

I ran an ammonia developer one summer when I was a kid :-(

[snip]

...Jim Thompson

"John Larkin" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Hmm... Schematics that are used, will be dishevelled. Schematics that are heavily used will become filty. Nevertheless, some people keep their schematics clean. :)

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

The roads in Ireland are so narrow, everybody drives in the middle.

John

*-*-*-*-*-anybody-else's-prints+We're.talking.about.my.company+Worst.case+hard-copy-only+work-on-his-product

I still design on d-size vellum, and make blueprints on a diazo machine. These are the "modern" ammonia-developed blueprints, non-inverted, unlike the really old reversed ones, a wet chromate process I think.

I just think better with a pencil than on a tiny little screen. I designed my office with one corner beveled, with a big window, where my big ole wooden drafting table fits.

John

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Dec 2006 13:26:29 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

Maybe what you say, but I have seen .001uF used on US drawings many many, many times. Is it new they went to 1nF?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 05 Dec 2006 20:59:27 GMT) it happened Joerg wrote in :

Very clever, but .001 uF _looks_ smaller ;-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Some people prefer to make lots of hand written notes on their schematics for future references. that way the next technician or engineer to work the product will know some of the quirks, and not waste days or weeks relearning what the last person had to.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Well, thirty years isn't terribly "new."

I do have a nice (log scale, six decade) nomograph around here somewhere that converts between cps and Hertz.

John

Interesting, I do the very same thing but on 11*17. Pencil on vellum. I am just wondering what I'll do when my last pad runs out. It's from the "Clearprint Paper Company" in Emeryville. Wonder if they still make it.

I have an angled desk in my office. Left side with two PCs, right side is a huge area where I can draft, lit by two Artemide halogen lamps. For really big stuff like mech dwgs there is an added 3'*4' cabinet surface adjoining that side.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com
Reply to
Joerg

I use Clearprint blue-grid D-size vellum, and they still make it!

I used to do marine automation, and visited the "lofting room" at a shipyard. All the drawings were 1:1, spread out on the floor, and the draftsmen walked on them in their sox. They had a little wheeled line-follower robot that was connected directly to a plate-steel flame cutter.

John

Not true. We use the quainter nFs when needed, but we've mostly moved on to gigafarads these days for cleaner signals. You guys should try them.

What I don't get is Europeans--is it true you're still using those antiquated Indo-Arabic numerals...and even Phonecian letters turned this way and that, willy-nilly? How can you recognize your aleph (oxen) when they're upside down, or houses on their sides?

Best, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Oh yes, we are still using that, plus many more. Didn't you know?

--
Thanks,
Fred.

A tech could, however, confidently replace a resistor labelled '20G' with the 200 ohm resistor seemingly indicated on his faded/folded schematic, or a 205 ohm resistor with a 20-gig. 1k8, unclearly copied, could be mistaken for 18k.

I suggest the world move on to my own system of elegant, unambiguous, inherently redundant, error-correcting symbology. I'd spell it out for you here, but your ancient browser technologies wouldn't be able to render it... ;-)

Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

That's why we always doubles the written values with their equivalent in Phoenician, Aramaic, Syriac, Nabatean, hieroglyphs and ideograms.

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On Wed, 06 Dec 2006 09:37:25 -0800, John Larkin wrote: [snip]

I once participated in "reverse engineering" a very large chip.

It was photographed at 1000X.

The company had a 40' X 40' table we walked around on to trace all the connections ;-)

...Jim Thompson

On a sunny day (Wed, 06 Dec 2006 08:22:11 -0800) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, yes, maybe I look too much at old diagrams.

LOL

And I have no idea where my slide rule is. I do remember buying a Commodore scientific calculator, with red LED display, and a 9V battery. In the early 80ties I used paper and pencil. I still do now sometimes for designs.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (6 Dec 2006 09:44:03 -0800) it happened snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in :

You are audiphile I presume?

Not where I live, looks Greek to me :-)

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Yeehaw! That is indeed good news.

I remember that from large chip and hybrid designs. The most embarrassing thing was when a newbie came in, had to take the shoes off and then there was a hole in the sox.

Before our move across the ocean I had a mechanical line-follower thingie for Td calcs on long PCB traces. It's gone, don't have a clue where. But now CAD systems tell us that stuff anyway. No more Rubylith and stuff.