Detecting the Polarity of a Large Electrolytic Cap

a 39000 uF 25V Nippon Chemicon. It is hard to see the tiny stamped "+" and the the terminals are symetrical to the case so incorrect installation is pretty easy to do. Currently about once every 15 assemblies.

The vent hole has worked succesfully to prevent anyone from being injured but boy it would be nasty if it didn't work just one time.

This assembly (terminals, cap and inductor) is an open circuit until it is installed in the system.

Any thoughts on a non destructive test?

Thanks, Ed V.

Reply to
EdV

On a sunny day (5 Dec 2006 10:27:52 -0800) it happened "EdV" wrote in :

Yes, charge via say 1 MOhm, to 25V. If it does not reach 25V in a few minutes, or if a constant current keeps flowing (uA meter) it is the wrong way around likely. No guarantees, just try some tha tway to look for how it behaves.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

--
Connect a 510 ohm 2 watt resistor to the + side of a 25 volt supply
that can source at least 50mA.

Connect a voltmeter from  the free end of the resistor to the - side
of the supply.  It should read 25V.

Now connect the cap under test to the voltmeter leads.

The voltmeter reading should momentarily dip and then climb close to
25V.  If it doesn\'t, the capacitor\'s in there bassackwards.
Reply to
John Fields

Check Agilent

The device has problems with some manuafacturers radial-lead caps, but maybe this will help.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Seriani, Sr.

1e6 ohms * 3.9e-2 farads = 3.9e4 seconds: over ten hours. The rated leakage current for such a large capacitor may well cause significant drop even after days. Better use a lower value resistance. Even John Fields' suggested 510 ohms yields a time constant in excess of 20 seconds, so his "momentary dip" in voltage is actually going to go on for rather a long time; it would be over half a minute to reach 20 volts. I'd expect the technique to work, and you don't need to wait till the voltage reaches that high a value to know if it's backwards, but do set expectations correctly about the duration of the test. You probably do need to test to near the rated forward voltage; I just ran a similar test on a 25V 10,000uF cap, using 25V and 1100 ohms, and noted that it allows 10V reverse. Your mileage could vary--a lot.

Perhaps an even better way to test would be to use a current-limited supply that will deliver, say, a constant 100mA until the voltage reaches the preset voltage limit, say 25V. With 3.9e-2F and 100mA, the charging rate will be about 2.5V/second. Ten seconds should get you to close to 25V. If you reach 25V and the current drops to a low level, you're OK, but beware the effects of dielectric absorption that may result in noticable current (significant fraction of a mA) for quite a long time (minutes).

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Don't test them. Instead, find an employee with good vision and give him/her a felt-tipped marker for circling the damned plus signs. We've done the same thing for LED's. Works fine.

-- Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

"J.A. Legris" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

Give them a good lighted magnifier to examine the caps,too. Maybe use a monochrome LED light source to better illuminate the markings?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Or maybe better, a white paint pen if it is on black plastic. And while that independent person is at it, have them mark the outside sleeve of the capacitor. I am assuming that these are screw-mount caps with no marking on the sleeve covering the can. If you mark that sleeve (boldly), then a simple visual inspection after assembly will let you know if it is in right.

Cheers, Tom

Reply to
Tom Bruhns

Good idea. And maybe run a test through the soldering process too. You don't want your hard-earned marks washing off.

--Joe Legris

Reply to
J.A. Legris

On a sunny day (5 Dec 2006 13:27:54 -0800) it happened "Tom Bruhns" wrote in :

You are 100% right, I was wrong, yes lower resistor, better have some diode acros the uA meter as protection.

C R1 R2 uA meter plus -----|| |-----------===------===---O------- minus + - | | - k | ^ a | |_____________|

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Correction: This works better C R1 R2 uA meter minus -----|| |-----------===------===---O------- plus + - | | - k | ^ a | |_____________|

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

In theory a small alternating current should create an average dc offset voltage, due to the leakage current being greater one way than the other, as to what frequency or magnitude that maybe needs a bit of experimentation, but obviously should be low enough to not cuase degradation.

However I think the idea of better visual identification and checking mentioned already is a better first step.

Colin =^.^=

Reply to
colin

These must be huge screw-terminal types. Suggest the assembly people go through the parts first and mark the + screw with a red Sharpie.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

I would make a "+" metal stamp and either use paint, or heat the stamp enough to distort the plastic when it is pressed lightly to the can.

Some of Microdyne's oldest equipment had a linear power supply. We tested the capacitors bu watching the line current as the AC voltage was ruin slowly from 0 towards full line voltages. If it rose a little and stayed there, they were all installed correctly. One or more would show as a sharp rise in input current, and the unit was sent back to assembly to correct the problems.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Big caps like that usually have some residual voltage on them unless they have been sitting around for a long time. Use a Hi-Z voltmeter and see if you can measure something.

Reply to
qrk

charge it with a constant current if the voltage doesn't follow linearly something's wrong.

for this comparison purpose some sort of bridge could possibly be used.

buy someone a red paint pen and an illuminated magnifier and get them to mark, and confirm, polarity on the caps before assembly..

replacing 1 in 15 seems like a it'd take longer than marking 30

Bye. Jasen

Reply to
jasen

  1. Find a replacement that is marked properly.

  2. Invite the Nippon salesman over and make sure he understands why you cannot use their product until they change the markings.

Regards,

Mike Monett

Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:

SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler:

Mike Monett