Even/Odd R factor

So any integer times an even is even. Even times even gives and even. Odd times and even gives an even. Only an odd times and odd gives an odd. So the R factor for Evens is 1.0 and the R factor for Odds is only 0.5.

So why haven't odd numbers died out?

Maybe this is why the Coronavirus is peristing without waning in some countries and in others it has dropped off considerably. Some COVID-19 strains are even and some are odd?

Makes you think, huh?

--

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Evens are easy, and will go with anyone, but odds are much more discerning and prefer their own kind.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Among the factorial numbers, generated by multiplication, they died out after 1!, just as one might expect. 2!, 3!, 4!... as far as I've calculated, all are even.

Reply to
whit3rd

A lot of the odd numbers sulked when they were kicked out of the factorial group, and went off and became prime. A 2 snuck in there as well - it doesn't seem to know what it wants to be - but the rest are all odd.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

On a sunny day (Thu, 11 Jun 2020 01:19:44 -0700 (PDT)) it happened Ricketty C wrote in :

You missed a career as mamatischian.

Did you know that flipping just the least significant bit from an any size binary number changes its even/off status? Rather odd no? Even so it is something to consider!

Most techies are used to corona

Maybe immune?

I even have an USB stick corona air cleaner:

Never used it though, bought if to see how they did the HV.

It seems however corona discharge is sometimes used for wound desinfection.. So charge yourself up! Tesla to the rescue!

Jan Panteltje

I'm still waiting to hear about the odd number hiding quietly in the elite group - the perfect numbers.

Reply to
David Brown

You're an odd guy. The odds are that you're the odd man out here.

Reply to
Pimpom

That's an odd thread. I can't even understand it.

Werner

Reply to
aioe usenet

They do but only very slowly - a variant of this theme is called the Collatz conjecture or Hailstone problem in recreational mathematics.

The rule is that odd numbers N become 3N+1 and even numbers N/2

The conjecture is that every positive N ends in the limit cycle

1, 4, 2, 1

N=27 has quite a few bounces around before it settles.

A proof of this conjecture still eludes the best mathematicians.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Yes, I think that is one thing we can all agree on, prime numbers are very odd... including 2! Prime numbers have little to do with the other numbers. They are in a class by themselves.

Yes, in fact, I believe in my heart that the extreme oddness of prime numbers is exactly what makes them so fascinating. What numbers could ever be more odd than prime numbers?

Hats off to the prime numbers!!! Huzzah!

--

  Rick C.

  + Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Cause those dang prime numbers keep showing up. GH

Reply to
George Herold

My new phase-locked-loop requires two frequencies to have a ratio of

33/32. You have just explained one of our problems with it: the numbers don't like one another.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

Their first mutual friend is 1056 can you divide down from there?

In the old days they sometimes used to cut 359 teeth gears for telescopes so that they could be powered by mains synchronous motors. Engineers making such gears really loved that as it is prime. (sidereal day is ~4 mins shorter than mean solar day)

That is the highest prime toothed gear I know of that once had utility.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The triggered oscillator frequency is about 130 MHz, and an ADC samples the oscillator waveform at 32/33 of that frequency. Heterodyning in the frequency domain is morally equivalent to equivalent-time sampling in time domain.

We occasionally encounter number-theory puzzles that are no doubt analogous to mechanical systems, things like differential screw threads and gears and things. Fun stuff.

I was just reading about 'fusees' in clocks, and the guys who invented machines to make them. A lot of machine tools were invented to make clocks. You need a good lathe to make a good lathe. Same with oscilloscopes.

Science teaches us to doubt.

  Claude Bernard
Reply to
jlarkin

That's odd, do not numbers rule?

Reply to
Robert Baer

What are "not" numbers???

--

  Rick C.

  -- Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Maybe he meant "knot" numbers.

Reply to
David Brown

Oh, ok. I thought maybe this was something new. There's real numbers, imaginary numbers and now, not numbers. Blue would be a "not number".

4 + 3i + Blue

Good for color matrices.

--

  Rick C.

  -+ Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Ricketty C

Oh, there are /many/ more kinds of numbers than those! How about surreals? Hypercomplex numbers (quaternions, octonions, sedenions, and more complicated sets)? And there are weird subsets, such as computable numbers and definable numbers.

Reply to
David Brown

The most interesting of which from a theoretical physics point of view are probably the Clifford Algebras where the physics can sometimes be more elegantly expressed and new insights obtained.

Spinors in GR are one of the formalisms derived from this approach.

I tried to find an accessible introduction to it with images rather than dense abstract algebra but this was the best I could find. It is a sort of higher dimensional analogue of (-1)^(1/n)

I'd be very surprised if surreal numbers ever found a practical application (but hey non-Euclidean geometries did so never say never).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown