Does you soldering iron glow ?

** Hi to all,

" Does your chewing gum loose its flavour on the bed post overnight " was THE burning question on everyone's mind back in the 1959 - courtesy of one Lonnie Donegan. Yep - I am old just enough the remember hearing it on AM radio.

But my question IS can YOU see any red glow from a typical soldering iron - in the dark of course. You will need to try this out, in a dark room, at night - after allowing a few minutes for your eyes to adjust to the very low light level.

Would just like to know what temperature is needed to create a barely visible, dull red glow.

So far, I reckon it is a bit less than 370 C.

Any takers?

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Nothing on TV tonight Phil?

Seriously though. The post is electronics related, but most in the industry are too flat out using their soldering irons and have no time to sit in the dark wondering if the tip is glowing.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

If I take the bit off my Hakko, it glows pretty well in the daylight.

geoff

Reply to
geoff

Only if the magnetic switch gets stuck. But then you don't need the dark to see it glowing:-)

Reply to
TonyS

Well, Phil's question is actually an interesting one, although not strictly an electronics question. He is basically asking about relationship between temperature and electromagnetic radiation. A 'black body' at a certain temperature will emit electromagnetic radiation with a particular centre frequency (and weaker emissions on either side of this center frequency).

How does an incandescent light work? By heating a thin tungsten wire (with a very high melting point) by electrical resistance. The colour of the incandescent light is related to the temperature the filament reaches (hence the term for those familiar with it, the colouir temperature). Have a look at wikipedia or this link (there are many others):

To cut a long and complex story short, the cooler the body, the lower the frequency of electromagnetic radiation. The red end of visible light in the electromagnetic spectrum is emitted by a body at about

1000 Kelvin (Celsius + 273 = Kelvin). So a soldering iron at 370 Celsius will be at about 640 Kelvin, not that far below the red end of the visible electromagnetic spectrum. While the peak emission frequency of EM radiation will be in the infrared and invsibible to normal vision, the shoulders of the emission will run, on one side, towards the red end of the spectrum... so it is quite possible that a feint red glow might be visible.

BTW, if you are wondering how an IR camera or sensor works, it simply picks up the electromagnetic radiation in the invisible infrared that comes from an object due to its temperature. So there is a bit of an electronics link in spite of what I said.

Cheers Glenn

Reply to
Glenn

** It is one that electronics types can easily answer - cos they mostly all own a temp controlled soldering iron.
** WRONG !

The Q is ALL about the ** sensitivity ** of the human eye to near IR radiation.

** Ya flick the damn switch - wanker.

** Pheeeeeewwwww .....

Now, go see if YOU can see any glow from YOUR iron in the dark.

I take it as granted that your PUNY DICK glows brightly - so keep it in your trousers during any and all observations.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Actually, I tried again in absolute darkness (Had to tape off the ON lamp) and found that shortly before the magnet switches off I see a dim glow. Weller Magnastat 60W with tip No.7 PT-AA(supposedly switch temperature 370 deg) :-)

Reply to
TonyS

"TonyS"

** OK - thanks for the info. 370C is indeed visible.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The guy politely replies to your stupid post, and so you abuse him.

Weird.

Dan

Reply to
Dan N

I just tried it on my hakko 700, soldering iron side, not desolderer. Started off at 360C on the dial and let my eyes adjust to the dark. Slowly cranked it up over 10 minutes to the max (480C on the dial) and still could not see anything. Its possible that the dial on my iron is wrong.

Reply to
The Real Andy

"The Real Andy" "Phil Allison"

** There is another explanation .....

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Tried it on my ERSA RDS 80 soldering station, started at 400c (on the display) and even in total darkness couldn't see any glow. Cranked it up using the "+" button until the display indicated "450" (as far as it would go).

(I have my doubts as to whether it actually went to 450, seemed to get there too quickly from 400, and the power bar graph display sat at a low level throughout the "heating" process - usually it tops out.)

There was still no visible glow, even after a few minutes of "full power" and complete darkness.

Not wanting to admit defeat,

I pulled out the trusty old Scope iron (the 3.3v one with the carbon element, and the black bakelite body with the spring loaded ring you pushed forward to turn on the iron) that I hadnt used in probably 15+ years - and fired it up. Less than 2 minutes of being held on the end was glowing red, even in room light it was visible. No temp gauge though on such a beast, and have nothing here that could measure a temperature that high, so I cant say what temperature it was at.

Got to admit though, you cant beat it for fast heat-up time from cold :)

Reply to
kreed

courtesy

it

Quick answer: No. If it is, it's too hot. The only irons that will get to that sort of heat is the old large Scope iron with the 3.3 volt AC tranny. Not recommended for cct board work.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

"Jason James"

** 370C is the standard temp for a soldering iron - idiot.
** You have not bothered to read the question.

Piss head.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

This will only work if you have a shitty soldering iron. Iron or steel needs to get to about 480 degrees for it to glow red. If you have a shitty iron that is 480 degrees at the top and 300 at your temp censor you can probably do it. But I seem to remember you would need 400W to get the metal hot enough.

Reply to
Dan

My eyes cannot see IR like yours? I can often see a glow from IR remotes in the dark, but i suspect that this is more visible light that I can see.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Rubbish. A standard weller tip is 370C Other stanard temps for fixed temp weller tips are 315C, 430C, and 480C

LOL! Any variable temp iron goes to well over 400C The industry standard Hakko 926/936 for instance goes to 480C on the dial. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a variable temp iron that doesn't go to at least 400C.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Dan" "Phil Allison"

** Drivel ......

** All depends on the ambient light level - plus the eyes of the observer.

Which is just what my Q was all about.

** Your memories are very seamy - indeed.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

soldering

tranny.

Never have I seen anyone using a soldering iron on radio work that is glowing. The temp range may allow you to achieve this state,..but only a moron would use it in that state. The tin burns off the tip, it carbonises, a complete mess.

Jason

Reply to
Jason James

Carbonises ? ...it might oxidise or evaporate but where is this carbon coming from ?

Reply to
Fun Tyme