PIC Program advice needed , 2way radio

I am wanting to program a 2way radio with microcontroller?

How would it be done? jw the code, dont want it spoonfed to me either..Thats no fun.

just some basic info needed to create a 2way radio(walkie talkie)type please.

Thanks

Reply to
AndrewM45

Well, that's pretty vague. A typical walkie-talkie has a user interface (buttons, display, PTT switch, some knobs) and functional blocks (synthesizer, IF, RF, AF, modulator, detector, battery charge). In a modern radio the microcontroller sits in the middle between user interface and the blocks, translating settings to commands and levels applied to the functional blocks. In many cases the user interface and functional blocks talk by a serial bus (look at any synthesizer IC from the past decade), in other cases it's discrete digital or analog signals that are exchanged.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim Shoppa

mmmm....Do you mean program the radio as the same way you program the frequencies, tones and other settings of the radio from a PC?

If so then this will be a nice challange as each make of radio (Kenwood, Icom, Motorola etc) uses different protocols. Some use a straight RS232 signal others need a level converter like a max232.

Then sometimes even different radios from the same manufacturer is different programming wise.

In essence you will need to find the port settings etc and then start sniffing the data to find out what to send and what you can expect to receive from the radio.

I know at work we got literly dozens of different software packages just for a few of the common main stream radios. Some work only in dos, others Windows and dos and some like the kenwood TKR750 only in windows.

Reply to
Richard