phone light problem

(...)

I keed! I keed!

Yes, I see that you were responding to "John G".

You too.

:)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Can anyone recommend an internet phone service to me?

I thought about Magic Jack, but they assign you a phone number several states away so if anyone wants to call me locally they have to pay long distance. I don't want to port over my landline phone.

I thought about Nettalk Duo VOIP Telephone Service, but I'm worried it won't work with my Motorola 69D8A router-modem (four RJ-45 ports and cable to ISP).

I thought about Ooma Telo Free Home Phone Service, which is expensive but looks like it will work with my equipment. They say I can choose a location for my phone number.

*I don't want to tie up my computer using it for phone service *I want a unit that works with my modem *I want a phone number that is local
Reply to
Jon

That's odd, when I established my Magic Jack number, I selected one from the same area code and a town 4 miles from here.

Another Jon

Jon

I had no problem choosing a local number for Magic Jack.

Michael A. Terrell

Winston brought next idea :

You are correct about the relay key. must be time for new lasses.

As for ladder logic- this discussion was about a simple electronic circuit and several people were confused by the use of a very specilised bit of diagramming. TinyCAD wpould have been a better way to draw this circuit.

--
John G
Reply to

won't=20

but=20

location=20

My coworkers tell me that with Ooma you can keep your present phone number. It has its own network to telephone electronics (you can get this with Magic Jack as well) but needs a wall wart. Is that good enough for your needs?

Reply to
josephkk

John G observed:

(...)

Only if the old lasses are exhausted. :)

several people were confused by the use

I like AACircuit.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Winston used his keyboard to write :

Even old lasses would likely exhaust me now :-@

Yes! fine for ASCII circuits which I trarely need.

Tinycad looks quite reasonable if you want simple printable ccts.

--
John G
Reply to

John G brought next idea :

Only if the old lasses are exhausted. :)

TinyCAD would have been a better way to draw this circuit.

Yes! fine for ASCII circuits which I rarely need.

Too many typos ;-)

--
John G
Reply to

John G replied:

LTSpice would be my choice. It's free and has a nice SPICE simulator.

Happens in the best of families. :)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

With #12 wire, the breaker must not be rated at more than 20 amps.

If you intend to bury the cable, you must use cable intended for direct burial. The cable commonly used for house wiring is not intended for direct burial or constant exposure to water.

--
Peter Bennett, VE7CEI
peterbb (at) telus.net

This may or may not be legal.

When I wanted to run a feed from my garage to my darkroom (shed) some years ago, a distance of about 10 feet, I buried some ordinary 1.1/4" plastic waste pipe, sort of stuff you'd plumb your sink or wash-basin waste with, and ran the cable through that. It's about 18" below ground, both ends are in the dry, and there's a concrete path laid over the top.

--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
()  no proprietary attachments; no html mail

The use of plumbing pipe makes it illegal in locations where the NEC applies.

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

Direct burial cable is legal in most jurisdictions.

That's not. Use conduit intended for wiring. It's not expensive.

Reply to
krw

Well plastic conduit is very common these days, explain the difference.

Note. This was some 25 years ago and it's still there, although the shed isn't a darkroom anymore, just storage.

--
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
()  no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\  ascii ribbon campaign -
Reply to
Stuart

The wiring on my well looks like regular house wire and it was installed by professionals & inspected. I think it is OK as long as it is deep enough to be unlikely to be damaged.

I am inclined to take a risk sometimes. Some things are just worth it. Sailing can be a lot of fun. As I get older, I am getting down right anal about some things. Since I had my knees replaced I am very careful about not falling. I just don't walk in the dark unless I have a flash light!

I th>Hi John,

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
John Ferrell

Right, but it's plastic conduit, not (plumbing) pipe.

Irrelevant. A lot of code violations have been around for 24 years.

Reply to
krw

The pertinent difference as far as the NEC is concerned is in testing and listing of the equipment (plumbing pipe, in this case) used in the installation.

Plumbing pipe has neither been tested nor listed by a recognized electrical testing lab such as UL for use as electrical conduit. See NEC articles 90.7, 110.2 and 110.3, as wellas article 100 for the NEC definition of "listed".

Ed

Reply to
ehsjr

I am using 100' of 10/2 wg UL wire rated for outdoors/burial to run under my trailer (stapled up) and to the shop (burial). On the way there I want to power 2 outlets for 2 air conditioners. I am drilling holes in the floor next to the baseboards and fishing a 12/2 wg down to the 10/2 wire. At the junctions I am putting a metal boxes, soldering and taping all connections (175 watt soldering iron). I am running this circuit off a 30 amp single pole breaker. The shop doesn't have any 240vac equipment, it's all 120vac, a small band saw and a light duty table saw. I might put up some florescent lights sometime.

The rats really do a number on my wire insulation. I'd like to run the wiring inside the trailer (in the living space) but I don't want to risk ac interference with my phone/data lines.

The wiring on my well looks like regular house wire and it was installed by professionals & inspected. I think it is OK as long as it is deep enough to be unlikely to be damaged.

I am inclined to take a risk sometimes. Some things are just worth it. Sailing can be a lot of fun. As I get older, I am getting down right anal about some things. Since I had my knees replaced I am very careful about not falling. I just don't walk in the dark unless I have a flash light!

I th>Hi John,

John Ferrell W8CCW

Reply to
Jon

I ended up using a 540 ohm current limiting resistor with an LED (12vdc power). It seems to work fine.

I'm wiring a 3-way switch to connect/disconnect a phone line. I want an LED to be on at both locations when the line is connected and off at both locations when the line is disconnected. Note that this isn't to show when the phone is in use. It's only to show that there is voltage on the phone line.

The phone line carries 48 v dc continuously and 90 low frequency ac when it is ringing.

Can I just use a standard dc LED with a current-limiting resistor? Maybe a

100 ohm resistor? I don't want any interference when the phone is in use.

Please grace me with your opinion.

Reply to
Jon