perpetual california drought

Al Bore thanks you.

If you were serious, you'd be using a bow saw.

Reply to
krw

But don't breathe too hard. Makes CO2.

lunatic fringe electronics

kind of scepticism that he applies to everything that might disturb his dai ly routine.

In so far as boat building depends on producing curved beams - which is som ething I haven't done - Jim may be technically right, but I have made curve d structures by holding bent bits of wood together while the glue that is g oing to hold them together in the long term sets.

Since my skill set does include successfully doing things that I haven't do ne before after reading about them in books, Jim's overall point is invalid . If he'd noted that I'd got my electronics skills that way, he might not h ave got it wrong, but pigs might fly.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

kind of scepticism that he applies to everything that might disturb his dai ly routine.

I've built quite a few Baxandall oscillator's (and at least one of my varia nts on that) but none of them are all that simple. I could certainly build a simple oscillator, but nobody has paid me to do that, and nobody has offe red to pay me to get my low-distortion oscillator together either. It isn't actually all that simple.

John Larkin doesn't seem to be able to design a simple transformer - he may have the capacity, but he prefers to search high and low for parts he can buy off the shelf rather than get himself a coil winder.

Building an Ark would require even deeper delvings into a messy and unfamil iar reality.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

cy is fine.

ing that will

Since his individual carbon footprint is going to advance climate Armageddo n by about 5 msec, that would be quixotic. It makes much more sense to conc entrate on moving our society to one that runs on renewable energy. George Monbiot's book "Heat", published in 2006, spells this out in some detail.

Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to
bill.sloman

Probably not. He's a fairly inefficient converter of food calories into mechanical work. The power station that provides the joules that drive the electric chain saw probably emits a lower mass of CO2 per joule.

If the power station really is a bunch of wind mills that would be zero CO2 per joule.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

ver_1.JPG

JPG

JPG

Which bit of "more frequent instances of more extreme weather" are you fail ing to comprehend?

Nobody was ever predicting perpetual drought, though they may well have pre dicted lower average rainfall, which you may have misunderstood as "perpetu al drought". Weather is variable, and climate is averages taken over those variations. Averages are less variable than the phenomena they average.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Take the problem seriously. One person (myself, or any other) is less than one part per billion of the global issue.

My contribution here is to expose counterfeits of real science, facile blather masquerading as knowledge and understanding.

Don't make this about me, or about some slant you want to press politically. Petty concerns, both. Climate change is a challenge that requires better of us.

Reply to
whit3rd

You seem to be equating climate change solely with a shift in the mean (temp/rainfall/etc) in one direction everywhere.

That isn't what the predictions say.

In fact the predictions are that there will be shifts in different directions in different locations. But that isn't directly relevant to your personal observations.

The predictions are also that the *standard deviation* will *increase*. That is difficult to observe casually except in one way: outliers will occur more frequently than expected. For example, "100 year events" will occur several times a century.

That might be what you have personally seen and described.

Of course, where stats are required, it is easy to deny things in the short term (and, for some reprobates, in the long term if they are paid enough :( )

Reply to
Tom Gardner

No I don't think they all have the same motives. Obviously the CEO doesn't have the same motive as the janitor. But I know what their motives are.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

So, you are like Sloman: preach about how others should sacrifice to reduce CO2 but not bother to do anything yourself.

"Better of somebody else" is what you mean. I knew that.

lunatic fringe electronics

I have seen many hysterical predictions of perpetual California drought, after a few dry years. The pattern is very well documented since about 1860, and shows no long-term trend.

Global Warming had to be modified to Climate Change to keep the hysteria and funding up. But Nature isn't cooperating; things have been very mild for the last 10 years or so.

lunatic fringe electronics

Perhaps. More likely your knowledge is of the same kind as krw's.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

thing that will

than

John Larkin misses the point that nobody has to "sacrifice" to reduce CO2 o utput. It's just a matter of moving over to renewable energy sources faster than we'd do if we left it to the fossil carbon extraction industry to dic tate the pace.

The price difference is down in the noise level already. The fossil carbon extraction industry doesn't want to lose cash flow, and is happy to lie abo ut the costs - and John Larkin is much too gullible to notice - but the pra ctical point is that sunlight is free, and continuously available (during m ost of the day anyway) and fossil carbon is a finite resource that is getti ng progressively harder - and more expensive - to dig up.

I do - in fact - sacrifice a bit to get "renewable" power from my electrici ty provider, and CO2 compensation on my air-fares, but anything more heroic is a waste of time and energy.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

jpg

_River_1.JPG

_1.JPG

_3.JPG

That hasn't got anything to do with climate change. You are being fooled by the media's enthusiasm for whipping up panic. Sometimes they misuse climat e change forecasts to do it.

What you need to focus on is the

where the Sahara was wet from about 7000 BCE to about 3500 BCE.

Nobody seems to know why. The climate was changing less then than it is now . There's no suggestion that California is bound to run into something simi lar, but no guarantee that it won't.

Nor any obviously predictable cycling either.

If you look at the last 100 years you get periods when warming goes up quit e a bit and others when it doesn't. The Atlantic Multidecal Oscillation has been the favourite explanation since it was noticed back in 1993, but it w on't get nailed down until we have quite a bit more Argo buoy data on deep ocean currents.

There's no hysteria, and the funding is unspectacular - you spend more on i ndividual nuclear powered carriers (which has to be a totally rotten invest ment - they don't do anything that regular carriers don't don't, and cost a whole lot more).

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

When I said 'take the problem seriously', I meant use your common sense. I meant 'better of' about seven billion people.

Reply to
whit3rd

Even over here it is in the financial interests of commercial media to use "language inflation". Today's example is that the temperature is going to "plummet" on Tuesday. Checking the forecast for my location, it will "plummet" from 15C to 9C. Oh Good Grief. Get a grip!

But what's the frequency distribution of such occurrences? No, I don't give a tinkers' cuss what the commercial media headlines are!

Not always, not everywhere; we've had the coldest and warmest/wettest winters since I was child, i.e. in half a century.

"Blocking high pressures" have become more common and last longer; they have a disproportionate effect on our weather.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

6,999,999,998, excluding you and Sloman. Two energy hogs won't do much harm.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Plenty noisy but no dramatic trend.

2016/17 officially has the most snowpack in the northen Sierra in recorded history, after 1982/83, and it's not over yet.

So, the weather is similar to what is was 50 years ago.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 4:09:54 PM UTC-7, John Larkin wrote: ...

Ah, finally, the name-calling! I knew, even if I didn't feed you a straight line, you'd go there eventually.

Reply to
whit3rd