PCB Mount Standard-A USB Receptacle rated for 2.1amp charging currents?

Hello, I am designing a new USB charging hub for a customer. The customer wants i t to charge the newest tablets and iPads @ 2.1amps per port. Charging only . No data communication. I am struggling to find PCB Mount Standard-A USB Receptacles rated for 2.1amp charging currents. All models that I have fo und are either rated for 1amp or 1.5amps. I have also talked with Molex, M illmax and Keystone engineers who said that they dont have anything rated @ 2amps, but they will give me a sample of their 1.0/1.5amp model to try.

I am starting to think that "officially", for a given temperature rise, the y are rated for 1 or 1.5amps....BUT.... people run them @ 2.1amps if you ac cept that it might run a little hotter....and then I should provide adequat e PCB heatsinking.

Ooh, I just discovered several USB 3.0 connectors rated @ 1.8amps, but noth ing over 2amps. To my surprise there is not much discussion about this. A ny input would be great. Thanks!

-frenchy

Reply to
voltvision

charge the newest tablets and iPads @ 2.1amps per port. Charging only. No data communication. I am struggling to find PCB Mount Standard-A USB Receptacles rated for 2.1amp charging currents. All models that I have found are either rated for 1amp or 1.5amps. I have also talked with Molex, Millmax and Keystone engineers who said that they dont have anything rated @ 2amps, but they will give me a sample of their 1.0/1.5amp model to try.

are rated for 1 or 1.5amps....BUT.... people run them @ 2.1amps if you accept that it might run a little hotter....and then I should provide adequate PCB heatsinking.

over 2amps. To my surprise there is not much discussion about this. Any input would be great. Thanks!

There is a simple reason the connectors are not rated for higher amperages - the standard doesn't call for it! You only have two small pins to carry that current!

Reply to
Charlie E.

to charge the newest tablets and iPads @ 2.1amps per port. Charging only. No data communication. I am struggling to find PCB Mount Standard-A USB Receptacles rated for 2.1amp charging currents. All models that I have found are either rated for 1amp or 1.5amps. I have also talked with Molex, Millmax and Keystone engineers who said that they dont have anything rated @ 2amps, but they will give me a sample of their 1.0/1.5amp model to try.

are rated for 1 or 1.5amps....BUT.... people run them @ 2.1amps if you accept that it might run a little hotter....and then I should provide adequate PCB heatsinking.

over 2amps. To my surprise there is not much discussion about this. Any input would be great. Thanks!

There's a USB charging specification that goes up to 5A, but I don't know if any connectors are actually rated for that.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany