cant mount usb disk

dmesg

 ......... Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 SCSI device sdb: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB) sdb: Write Protect is off  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured USB Mass Storage device found at 4 .........

 # mount -t ext3 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /mnt/usb mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on  /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0 /lun0/disc,        or too many mounted file systems

the usb disk had been formated to ext3, and the kernel supports ext3

Reply to
freegnu

Hello,

You should find the partition table at: /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

You have to mount the specific partition, i.e. something like: mount -t ext3 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/usb

Sure, but you have to find the partition at the first sector of the whole disc (.../lun0/disc) and inside this partition table the partitions are declared; you have to mount them and not the disc. But, of course, you could get rid of the partition table and use the whole usb stick/disk as a single partition. But that is not compatible in the PC world at all, as every usb storage device must have a partition (even if there's only one partition).

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 11:11:27 +0100 Sebastian wrote: | Hello, | |> dmesg |>

 |> ......... |> Attached scsi removable disk sdb at scsi2, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 |> SCSI device sdb: 512000 512-byte hdwr sectors (262 MB) |> sdb: Write Protect is off |>  /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0: unknown partition table |> WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured |> USB Mass Storage device found at 4 |> ......... |>
| | You should find the partition table at: | /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc | |>
 |> # mount -t ext3 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/disc /mnt/usb |> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on |> /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0 |> /lun0/disc, |>        or too many mounted file systems |>
| | You have to mount the specific partition, i.e. something like: | mount -t ext3 /dev/scsi/host1/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/usb | |> the usb disk had been formated to ext3, and the kernel supports ext3 | | Sure, but you have to find the partition at the first sector of the whole | disc (.../lun0/disc) and inside this partition table the partitions are | declared; you have to mount them and not the disc.

Apparently he doesn't even have a valid partition table on it. Maybe he formatted the whole disk originally, anyway, and has since let something else goof up the master sector.

| But, of course, you could get rid of the partition table and use the whole | usb stick/disk as a single partition. But that is not compatible in the PC | world at all, as every usb storage device must have a partition (even if | there's only one partition).

Only because so many devices expect there to be one, and expect it to be a DOS style partition table (and probably can't handle logical partitions).

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

whole

That might be, but I am irritated by the fact that the partition table is searched at "lun0" and not "lun0/disc", so I thought there might be some other problem.

whole

PC

What if the device itself needs a partition table (to store any internal data or whatever... many devices nowadays are "windows-compatible", but nothing else) ? And another thing I had thought about was the fact that there is an error message (the warning); I would get rid of it as fast as possible. Everything I do (even if it is non-standard) must work without warnings / errors, this is the way I function. So I simply thought - if there is a warning about the partition table, then there should be one.

Another idea is that the BIOS (or whatever hardware does the work) decided to "clean" the partition table as it was invalid? Then the idea of a partition-free file system (or device) is lost anyway.

But you are right, it is not necessary to have a partition table.

Regards, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian

thanks for your reply

the problem seems that maybe the OS cant support ext3 filesystem. but when i cat /proc/filesystem it display ... nodev ext3 ... i dont dont why?

"Sebastian" ?ÈëÏû?ÐÂÎÅ:4592bd43$0$27615$ snipped-for-privacy@newsspool2.arcor-online.net...

Reply to
freegnu

That means your kernel supports ext3 (but you can mount an ext3-volume as ext2, too).

Try using fdisk like e.g.

fdisk /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

and inside fdisk you simply do "p" (print). Then you'll see the existing partitions and can try to mount these specifically, like e.g.

mount /dev/scsi/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/part1 /mnt/usb

Hope this helps, Sebastian

Reply to
Sebastian