PCB Assembler Recommendations Northern NY State

I'm looking to see if anyone has any recommendations for a PCB assembler/Contract manufacturer in Northern NY State.

Small quantities (10's rather than 1000's) Mixed SMT and through hole. Preferably turnkey

Robert

Robert Adsett

If you have any flexibility, I'm about 5 minutes east from New York state, at the lower part of "Northern" as might be defined by engineers looking at maps, as opposed to "City" people who define Northern rather differently.

If you want parts (you supply) put on boards (you supply), I've done a bit of that in the size range you're discussing, with SMT and thru-hole. If you want a board house, I don't do that, and given that I do this stuff on a side basis to keep my hand in (so I'm fine doing 10's) rather than as my primary employment probably means I would not suggest myself if you need much more extensive services, at least at this point in time.

By which you mean what, in this context? If you want assembled and stuffed boards, you're not describing a completed system, which is the usual use of that term - turn the key, no assembly required. If you want them installed in complete boxes, say so, it's quite possible, if you pay the labor.

But that's quite different from other possible meanings you could have, such as "netlist in, assembled product out", or "Gerbers in, assembled product out".

Ecnerwal

EMS Rochester

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Thanks Martin, Do you have more complete contact information? A search on EMS Rochester gets me Emergency Medical Services.

Robert

Robert Adsett

I'm peering across the international border so maps are where I start :)

Assembled boards. With or without the case I'm not sure at the moment. The case portion of the assembly isn't particularly critical. The assembly (with case) is only part of a larger assembly. The client probably won't want to deal with ordering and stocking of the electronic components.

Turnkey to me has always meant I send a PO, and I get a finished product to my specifications. Whether it's a stuffed PCB or a stuffed PCB in a case is just a different spec. Your experience is obviously different.

The 10's will be on a continuing basis, probably monthly to begin with but hopefully increasing in frequency.

Thanks

Robert

Robert Adsett

Brian

Sometimes it can be funny watching people talking past each other. Both of you understand that the term "turn-key" can mean something different to each other, but neither of you have clearly described specifically what you mean by it.

"Where I come from", turn-key board assembly means that the assembly house does the procurement of the parts to stuff on the board as well as the assembly. I don't think this necessarily includes procurement of the PCB since that is a very different technical task and unless it is adequately specified (where "adequately" is an arbitrarily defined term) should involve the design engineer.

So if you want "turn-key", I suggest that you not say things like, "I send a PO, and I get a finished product to my specifications.", but rather outline exactly what tasks you want the assembler to take on.

I learned this about construction some time ago. I needed a new door installed at my house. I asked for a new door and frame and it was installed without painting. To me, painting should have been included... who wants an unpainted front door? But to the contractor, painting is a separate item and should have been specified.

So list all of the things that you want the assembly house to do... buy parts, buy boards, assembly, inspection, test, burn-in, stocking, drop shipping...

Reply to
rickman

Your definition follows the useage I've normally seen. I'd include the PCB in that definition as most houses I've dealt with have ther own preferred supplier. I just need to give them the appropriate manufacturing files. But if necessary iit's easy enough to pass along a PCB supplier contact info and a part number they can use to order a board from them from information I've alreasy given the PCN manufacturer.

Oh when it gets to the actual selection I'll talk to the assembler and see exactly what they need. I'm expecting I'll have to supply part specs for the components and manufacturing drawing where needed. I would hope they would suggest alternatives if they have a part they use in quantity that may be a suitable replacement for a part I've already specified, but not all are willing to participate that much.

Mea culpa, I have been a bit sloppy about exactly what I want but all I'm looking for at this point are assembly houses in the area that others have found to be quality producers. More along the lines of searching for a reputable contractor than providing a detailed spec to the contractor. I figure the latter will come when I have a few good candidates.

Robert

Robert Adsett

Sorry about that. Their prices we reasonable about 8-10 yrs ago. They do small quantities and their Facilities are well organized.

Martin Riddle

quantities and their Facilities are well

Thanks again Martin

Robert

Robert Adsett