Anyone know of a reliable and easy to work with electronic contract manufacturer?

Hi All...

I've just spent the last six months designing and testing a mixed signal project that involves multichannel audio playback from a hard drive, analog preamp/power amplification, touchscreen LCD display and associated power supplies for a medical application. I've been building small quantities in my shop up to this point, but am looking to align with a reliable and decent electronics contract manufacturer that can handle much larger quantities and help with refining the design and getting appropriate safety certifications and such. Does anyone know of some companies that they've had experience with that I inquire to with such a project? I've been doing searches on the net and am completely overwhelmed at the number of different companies out there. Just thought I'd inquire here as I'm sure a few of you out have had to go through this type of search as well and was just hoping someone has some real good results and support from a company or two they'd be willing to refer me to. Any help in this department would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Charette

Dan Charette wrote: looking

Logan Industries

They are able to make all kinds of stuff and are nice people. So far the only thing I've had them make is some very tricky cables using tiny Fischer connectors. They are the first place that has been able to make them correctly the first time.

Reply to
Clive Tobin

Dan,

Where are you located? It's attractive to stick with someone local, of course, although unfortunately I've now been bitten twice by just going with 'the local guys' and then ending up with people much further away when the local guys' quality is unacceptable. (But I've always been in smallish towns...)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

That ups the cost a little. Most I know turn the light bulb off when the word "medical" or "lawyer" is mentioned.

That's relatively simple.

That's relatively simple.

That's relatively simple. However, to combine all 3 of these requirements into one company that has the deep pockets to get into the medical field is going to be difficult or difficult in the extreme depending on whether or not the device could kill somebody if it malfunctioned.

I'd rethink exactly what you are looking for. Seems to me you are doing what all of us would love to be able to do ... sit on our butts and invent, give it to somebody to make it a manufacturable product, get it certified, build it, and we get the profits. Nice work if you can get it.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Joel...

I'm located in the central US in Omaha. Not a major hotbed of local electronic manufacturing here. I don't mind having to go out a ways to get something done, as long as it's done with quality and the company stands behind their work. Basically, I'm just looking to find a company that will be very supportive and follow through with the project without too many hangups as well as be able to support the demand for a larger quantity of units should we need to place a 1000 piece order and have it be filled within say 6 weeks time.

Thanks!

Dan

Reply to
Dan Charette

Call Karen Brown at Vitel Technologies at 678-421-6237 (Atlanta Area - easy transportation etc). They were a large volume manufacturer of mother boards for HP and others until the market collapsed. They are owned by American Megatrends (AMI), one of the PC BIOS pioneers/leaders. They do very good work and are easy to deal with. Tell em NCS sent you. Carey Fisher

[...]

CF

Actually, this sounds like a job for "yellow pages". :-) If you're in a sizeable town, there might be somebody right around the corner.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

That's what I've been trying to do with my left-hand microwave oven design - I guess I could bother to draw one; I do enjoy the heck out of playing with blocks in Autocad Mechanical Desktop. :-) It's simplicity itself - a microwave oven with the door hinge on the other side. All I need is somebody to sign an LC for say a million units, and I'd be happpy with a dollar an oven. :-)

Thanks! Rich Yes, "just for the idea". :-) Now, what was that product-dev group's name again? ;-)

Reply to
Rich Grise

I've worked with Sanmina SCI. They're *good*, but they like the $$.

--
  Keith
Reply to